Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chassis / Chassis disc help

Default Chassis / Chassis disc help

Hi everyone,

I need a little help in determining which chassis discs I should use. I'm going to be using a 3D printed chassis (which is MHS compatible) in the 4" grip section of the hilt. My question is, which chassis discs will allow me to unscrew the 4" grip section and keep the 3d chassis locked in place? I've included snapshot of my saber build from MHS.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot at 2017-03-27 12-49-44.jpg

The chassis discs are mainly used to hold the 4-40 rods and other chassis discs. If you are using a 3D printed chassis, the discs won't help unless you mount the 3D chassis to them.

Why not use a set screw and ditch the discs?

Blog Entries

You could use either disc 4 or disc 5 between the ribbed section and adapter.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    The chassis discs are mainly used to hold the 4-40 rods and other chassis discs. If you are using a 3D printed chassis, the discs won't help unless you mount the 3D chassis to them.

Why not use a set screw and ditch the discs?
    Thanks. The chassis has holes for the 4-40 rods, so attaching them won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    You could use either disc 4 or disc 5 between the ribbed section and adapter.
    Thanks Darth Chasm, that's what I was hoping.

Blog Entries

No problem. One thing to note on disc four is that because it screws in it may not line up ideally. If lining up your chassis in a certain way is a concern, disc five may be a better option.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Also using disc4 may result in wiring twisting issues. Bolt the 3D chassis to disc 5 and it will lock in between threads.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    No problem. One thing to note on disc four is that because it screws in it may not line up ideally. If lining up your chassis in a certain way is a concern, disc five may be a better option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Also using disc4 may result in wiring twisting issues. Bolt the 3D chassis to disc 5 and it will lock in between threads.
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a couple of other questions; I'm having Tim cut a Starkiller style crystal chamber window in the ribbed extension. Will chassis disc #3 allow me to lock the crystal chamber in place as well? Second question for Greenie.. I like all the brass bits and bobs that you use on your crystal chamber. What exactly should I search for on Google to find similar items. I've looked for everything from brass plumbing tubes to brass jewelry pieces, and I still can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chassis disk 3 fits in the 1.15" ID of the ribbed extension. You could use the same Disk 5 to lock both your crystal chamber (on one side of the disk) and the board/battery (on the other side of the disk) in place between the ribbed extension and the 0.75" male/female extension.

Search for K&S metals. You can usually find packs of off cut tubing of brass, copper and aluminium in various sizes available in good hobby shops. I think there's an image in my gallery thread(link in sig).

Greenie

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Search for K&S metals. You can usually find packs of off cut tubing of brass, copper and aluminium in various sizes available in good hobby shops. I think there's an image in my gallery thread(link in sig).

Greenie
    Thankg again Greenie