Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New MHS idea. Wanna run by everyone for opinions

Started on my shroud today. Figured I'd post some details and images in case it may help others, I know I dug around for a bit before I felt I had a good hand on starting the design.

One thing that helped a ton, go to Youtube, look up TCSS channel, sub to it. Madcow has a great shroud video, not to mention all the other helpful videos he's done.

For the most part I followed Madcow's example. The one thing I changed, where he's making a template directly for the shroud material I first made one directly to the saber part I want my shroud on.

Reasoning was to make sure I have it matched up to my activation box. Next I had been saving various cardboard tubes, papertowl rolls, foil rolls etc. Found one that just fit over the shroud material and then took my paper template and copied the design.

Sadly I have to work nights this week so I'm stopping here. Well try to continue as the weekend processes,....I'll be sure to post more images and details!

One thing I left out. Design, I'm thinking of making two of these shrouds, because my original idea was to take the top of the shroud and from the bottom of the activation box down cut out. Sort of a "V" notch for the switch assembly to sit in. May make one with and one without to see how they both look. I'm concerned that with that notch and the shape the two fingers of the "V" will not have enough material to remain secure without screwing them down and that would take away from the design I think.
    Last edited by Warlock; 04-14-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Still waiting on trim to rings and finishing my shroud but here's a tease shot

https://imageshack.us/i/po5hRTZLj

Right up until I did a test fit. *sigh* Well,....that's why I bought 18" of material. lol Scratch one try. -_-

So tried again today since I'm up way early. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea. -_- Second try the activation section is a nice snug fit at each end,.........and 1/8 gap on the sides and to top it off I can't even cut the rest yet because now my flipping flex shaft somehow bent. Not a single bit will spin true.

If video games have taught me anything, it's that when you're encountering resistance, you're on the correct path.

Lol . Thanks Jenny I needed that!

More seriously, there's a lesson I learned from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: If you reach a point where you're frustrated with what you're doing, that's the time to walk away. If you keep going, you're going to make cascading mistakes, whereas if you walk away and come back later, you may see immediately a simple solution to the problem.

Wise lesson indeed. That's exactly what I did. Do the same thing at work. Start to get too frustrated troubleshooting a fault.....walk away and take 5 minutes.

Finally got this hilt finished up. Still playing with shrouds but right now that's more of practicing than completion.

So here she is:

It's certainly been an awesome experience. Already have my NBv4 ordered for the next one