Thread: Cree red vs deep red vs red orange

Default Cree red vs deep red vs red orange

Has anyone done a comparison of these different colors?

I'm about to start building a simple stunt saber for a relative, and am curious how they compare.

I have found a thread with several red-orange photos and they look nice, but so far the only deep red (rebel) topic I've found so far
    doesn't seem to have withstood the test of time. There's plenty of comments how the blade looks pink in the photo(s) (which are
    now just "image not found, visit photobucket" links) but in person is more of a fairly dark / intense red.

Long story short, if it's possible, I'd love to see all 3 blade colors in one image... & hoping they won't interfere with each others'
    appearance too much.

Deep red looks closest to the movies, but can be dimmer and often require larger resistors. Which is important depending on your build (had to rewire part of my crossguard sabers since 3 5 watt resistors were kinda cramping the inside). Red is a fine red, but not a red as in the films which is closer to deep red. Depending on the led it might even look at tad more of a blood orange than red. Red-Orange is an led I'd suggest for a Yaddle-esque lightsaber color. It's a good strong orange. Amber is a lighter more yellowy orange.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that digital cameras do not properly capture the color of something which is giving off light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Unfortunately, it has been my experience that digital cameras do not properly capture the color of something which is giving off light.
    You are 100% correct. Deep red is BLOOD RED in person, just an awesome color, but looks fuscia in photos/videos.

tom