Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Timer Build - "Balance"

Very nice. I'm intrigued by your description of the suede attached to the electronics shield. Any chance of seeing a pic with the shield out of the body piece?

The shield doesn't come out. The grips and the "holes/vents" where the LED from the crystal will hopefully shine through epoxy it in place. Sorry I didn't take pics before I glued the grips in.

Here are some more pics, but I am not sure it shows much it helps.
    I found a test "grip" that ended up being a bit small on one of the corners so it wasn't used. It does show the the grip before gluing though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rampant; 03-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Is that the switch just above the grip or is it at the bottom of the shroud? Can't quite make that out.
    The switch is in the lowest part of the shroud. I need to do something to pretty-up the switch, but it isn't even wired yet, so first things first.
    The hand fits nicely under the shroud, with a back/stabilizing hand over the rear grip.

Those two things just above the grips are see-through slots/vents/holes (filled in with epoxy over the electronics shield again) -- to (hopefully) show the light from the crystal through the hilt. Test with a flashlight LED showed it should work, but I am anxious to see it in action.

Finally was able to finish it up.
    After chasing some gremlins, including a bad wire (didn't even know that could happen, or what I did to cause it), I finally finished it up.

The Cyan is a bit more green than I expected (I probably would have used a green LED for the crystal), but it is still a great color.

I might clean up some little details, but I am happy to have it "done" for now.

Balance_ext_5.jpg Balance_ext_6.jpg Balance_lit_1.jpg Balance_crystal.jpg Balance_crystalThroughHilt.jpg

Now on to #2.....
    Last edited by Rampant; 05-06-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    (...) the copper color is Dupli Color Copper Plating.
    Copper color? Oh, the thumbscrew? Did you have any difficulty applying that? Would you use it again?

The Cyan is a bit more green than I expected
    What LEDs did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Copper color? Oh, the thumbscrew? Did you have any difficulty applying that? Would you use it again?
    No, the orange looking color on the blade holder, grooves, etc. The images don't do it justice, it is a nice translucent color. It goes on in light coats, so you can make it as light or as dark as you want. I think I was a bit heavy-handed with it, but yes I would probably do it again. I might do it differently though -- use less layers for a lighter color. It does keep the metallic nature of the aluminum underneath it well though.

What LEDs did you use?
    Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star Cyan/Cyan/White. it is more turquoise (sample) than what I am used to as cyan (link).

Wow..that looks great! I like the shroud!

No, the orange looking color on the blade holder, grooves, etc.
    Oh! Heh. On my monitor, those look fire-engine red.

Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star Cyan/Cyan/White.
    That's what I'm looking at doing for Sorrow's sabre, as well. It does look slightly more green than I anticipated, but I think that's okay.

ETA: The Luxeon specification page shows this graphic for the Cyan LED, and it looks like yours does in fact fall right around 505 nm:

mr-1s-505.jpg
    Last edited by Jenny; 05-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Oh! Heh. On my monitor, those look fire-engine red.
    Probably more my camera than your monitor.

Very nice. Love the shroud work. Blade color actually looks cool too though, I like it. Always liked cyan colored blades, very unique =]
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-