Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Timer Build - "Balance"

Default First Timer Build - "Balance"

I am a first time builder, so don't be too harsh, but I have the exterior "done" (with the exception of the pommel I am waiting to get back in stock).

I call this "Balance" because I wanted an asymmetrical design that felt visually balanced. Kind of like how in nature, nothing is symmetrical, but everything is in balance. This is probably for a grey Jedi who is reaching out past the narrow mindset of the Order.

In any case, I wanted to go big and stretch what I could do with my meager hand tools. In case I only did one, I wanted it to be something unique. But, I am bitten by the bug now, so money pending, this will only be the beginning. Already planning #2 and don't even have this one done yet.

This is a pure MHS build with a hand-cut shroud over Blade Holder 1, a 3" fluted extension and a 6" double-female. Just waiting on Pommel style 7 to finish it out.
    The black grips are in-laid ultrasuede and the copper color is Dupli Color Copper Plating. The kids wanted it super weathered (even more than this), but I toned it down a bit, so I think I struck a balance, though I am not 100% happy with everything (are we ever?).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job on your first!

I like it! how did you attach the leather? Is it just glued on? You said it was "in-laid"?

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    I like it! how did you attach the leather? Is it just glued on? You said it was "in-laid"?
    Thanks.
    The grips are suede. I tried leather, but it was too thick for my use here. I cut out the main body in the shapes (one on each side, with one being a bit longer). I then took hard plastic bottles of a similar diameter cut them to fit in the slots. I then wrapped the suede around them and glued (epoxy) them to an electronics shield. This way, it is pretty flush with the outside of the hilt, with a nice smooth edge that doesn't look tacked on. I don't intend to be battling a semi truck, and the extra chassis discs give some internal support, so it is more than strong enough for my use.

Really nice design! Love the grips!

Blog Entries

I dig it. Love the asymmetrical shroud. Nice work.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks for the kind words. With so many amazing craftsmen on here that are so inspiring, it is nice to hear. And this hobby is utterly addicting

Oh yes, very nice job.

Fan frickin tastic! Especially for your first build. It looks more like a 10th build or so.

Is that the switch just above the grip or is it at the bottom of the shroud? Can't quite make that out.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 03-26-2017 at 07:54 PM.