Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Totally new to this hobby.

Default Totally new to this hobby.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and to the lightsaber building game. I'm going for a Pico Crumble for my first sound board. Here's my part list. Am I missing anything?

Cree XPE2 - RGB High Power LED
    Pico Crumble V1
    MHS speaker and 2x AA battery holder
    Swing Sensor SW-200D
    Clash Sensor SW-18020P
    .5ohm 3w resistor
    "TCSS style" Battle blade 1" OD
    12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Purple Ring Switch
    5mm RGB LED

(Wires and Heatshrinks I've not included I know.)

Welcome Mockhero, you don't need those sensors, they're built on to the soundboards already. You will need resistors for all LEDs which can be calculated using ohms law. The 20mA dynaohm in store will work for the AV LED. The pico is designed for use with the 3.7v Li-ion battery, 18650 or 18500 will be your best option and a charger. The V6 speaker/battery holder will work with an 18650. It is also a good idea to create a chassis to mount and secure the electronics. Check out the tutorial vids by Madcow and build logs and gallery pics here on the forums will also enlighten. Good luck and MTFBWY.

Greenie

Because I'm new to this, and wiring / soldering all together, I'm a bit worried about the whole Li-ion battery. Could I get away with NIMH? I'm building this for my wife and I'd hate to be married to a One handed Skywalker.

Unlike the Nano Biscotte manual which says you can use 4x NiMH AA cells, the Pico manual specifically says NiMH cells are not recommended. Plector doesn't list the operating range for voltage on the Pico, but two alkaline AA batteries are only nominally 3v (2x1.5v diminishes over time), and for NiMH batteries it's only 2.4v (2 x 1.2v 1.5v when fully charged, but drop quickly and levels off), where as a lithium cell is 3.7v (up to 4.2v charged, useful range is usually down to around 3.4v for saber boards) . Assuming the initial 4.5v charge is acceptable for the Pico, you might be able to get away with 3x NiMH but it will be significantly heavier, have a much shorter run time, and space will be an issue. A round 3xAA battery holder would also not fit in the hilt since they are usually around 33-35mm (D cell size) or about 1.3" (MHS parts are 1.25" ID).
    Last edited by jbkuma; 03-23-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks for your responses, Greenie and Jbkuma.

What could go wrong with a Li-ion pack? Just if I don't use the right resistors?

Welcome to the hobby.

If you buy one of the battery packs, the most dangerous parts are done for you.

You guys are great! Answers so quickly. I was just going to ask that. The reason these packs are safer are because "Packs" Have the safety board already installed for recharge / Discharge?

That's right, they have a protective pcb incorporated. The resistors are to reduce current to the LEDs to avoid overdriving at the risk of frying them.

In addition to the protection circuit, they also have wires already soldered on them, so you don't have to worry about that either.

Resistors also help prevent some weird behavior with the sound boards when too much current goes through them.

So this is my updated list. How am I looking? Any suggestions? (I purchased the LED from another website.) It's a Cree XPE2 - RGB. Any suggestions / Things I'm missing?

5mm RGB LED
    Pico Crumble - Light Version
    16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Natural Brass Switch
    Acrylic Chassis Disc for PC and 18500/18650 pack - S2
    Premium 28mm Speaker
    3.7V-14.8V 1Amp Li-Ion Smart charger
    Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery
    18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
    .5ohm 3w resistor