Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need to qualify & confirm some led wiring questions.

Default I need to qualify & confirm some led wiring questions.

First, I have scoured through posts on and off over the past few weeks before registering but I am having difficulty locating direct answers for the questions I have. If I am mistaken or missed something feel free to politely point it out. Thank you, in advance for sharing your knowledge and for any answers you may provide. I will try to keep my questions numbered and structured as yes or no answers so a simple corresponding number and yes or no will suffice for an answer. (I.e. #2. NO/ #1. YES).

1. Is a Cree XP-E2 single (1up) LED adequate for a basic saber? (5 degree lens Included)
    2. Can the electronics from a $20.00 BB saber be used, if the power supply is upgraded and the Cree LED above is wired into it?
    3. Would anything else in the blade builder electronics need upgrading besides the LED and power supply?
    4. Is an LED, battery and switch all that is truly required to have a functional circuit?
    5. Is a resistor essential?
    6. Do the batteries used impact the output of the LED directly?

That is all for the 1st round. I seek knowledge, so please send me in any direction you think will help me.

Welcome to the Forums.

1. Yes
    2. Don't personally know.
    3. Don't personally know.
    4. For a stunt saber (no sound), yes.
    5. Generally, yes.
    6. Yes.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Does anyone have any experience with the Blade Builder sabers electronics from around the time of TFA?

Someone has claimed to get an led to work on the blade builders with a tip42c.

Personally the only way I could work the bladebuilders is with a relay. Every other toy board before then will work to power a 3w LED it seems.

You should also get a bigger speaker. I found some 8ohm 0.4w 20mm speakers on ebay. You could also get a better clash sensor from the shop here.
    Last edited by Whosle; 03-22-2017 at 12:22 PM.

This is a Cree XP-E2 Single up, Amber... Can someone verify this seems correct for the resistor.

Resistor.jpg

If the vf is correct then that is correct. Rounded up, that will be 1.2ohms 3watt.

Yeah, I obtained the voltage numbers from LED Supply, for the single up Amber.... it says 2.65.

It's all good then

LED Specs.jpg

Okay, Im still hung up on this a bit when it comes to calculating for resistor, the specifications above seem to be listing 2 different sets of information for the same LED.

From what I can see the Amber LED has a max voltage OF 2.65 at 1 Amp (1000mA), with a (i.e.) 3.7 power supply pushing this, then the resistor should be 1.05 ohms... Agreed?

That image is to small to read but your calcs are correct.