Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If I may ask a touchy question

Default If I may ask a touchy question

Ok I know SF is a competitor, not wanting to step on toes here just would like an short honest answer. I can't ask on their forums because of of they mod. So hoping this is ok

If not please delete and accept my apologies

Due to a sale I'm thinking of getting a SF hilt completely empty so that I can purchase all my electronics here to custom install.

My question is are the hilts themselves bad? I've read the issues on the electronics and install itself being subpar.

Just want opinions from folks that aren't being governed by SF mods.

Again if this is bad form please delete or tell me and I'll delete this.

The reasons that SF and US are not discussed here, has mostly to do with their poor quality and poor customer service. They are also banned on forums that don't have stores attached to them.

The fact that they won't let you ask this question on their forums should be a real big hint.

Yea i would suggest spending your money here and getting good quality stuff. i am sure you can find something here for about the same price and it will be MUCH BETTER.

While I can't speak about the quality of their parts, I will say that I don't recall anyone buying a second SF saber after building a saber with TCSS parts.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I bought a SF empty, for the same reason you plan to, and the quality of the hilt is "ehh".

There are some sharp edges that can cut you if you're not careful before you sand them down, the pieces don't seem designed to make it easy to install yourself (you'll need some ingenuity depending on the parts), things like that.

At least you've already established the superiority of TCSS electronics though, that's the important part!

Currently working on an electronics install for a secondhand saberforge hilt. It has been...testing. The sizes are weird. I've had to order a 3d printed sled for the internals, and the speaker still isnt fitting right. Doing some dremel fu to get the wires to fit.

I picked it up because its a Quinlan Vos style, and I thought the shroud would look better than the one i had made. It really didnt.

Also when my friend was drilling and tapping a hole in the hilt, he remarked that the aluminum was of lower quality than TCSS parts.

Only reason I'm bothering with it is the one i had made in the Quinlan Vos style a few years ago ended up really heavy and this one would be for costuming at Celebration

My advice would be get the parts here. You will feel a greater sense of accomplishment designing and building your own saber instead of buying one from someone else
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Thanks for the honest answers guys. Not gonna lie, 50% of an Archon style was tempting as it's a rather interesting design. But experiences of others, combined with lack of paypal (I take that was a REALLY bad sign) and I'm done.

Off to MHS builder for me

*Grail Knight voice* You have chosen...wisely.

In ten years at this hobby I can honestly say I have never been disappointed in MHS parts yet so imo you have made a great choice to go with TCSS for hilt parts as well as electronics instead of that other maker.

Good Luck and MTFBWY on your build.

Now my issue is ...........I can't decide on a build! ARRRGGGHH lol

Only thing I've decided on is Blade Holder 24.

Speaking from personal experience, I have 3 SF's (2 ASP's, and a Prodigal Son), and I have to say that I am ultimately pleased with the hilts, the ASP's can withstand a good hammering. I only buy the hilts, and do my own electronics, so can't speak for the quality of their installs. Yes the ID is a little smaller that what I'm used to with an MHS, but just shop around for a decent chassis, and it all comes good.

I know of the past history with SF and why a lot of people won't touch them, but to be honest, in the five months that I have been dealing with them, I only have good things to say...

I have MHS sabers, I have Korbanth Sabers, and I have SF sabers, all of which I love. My advise to you would be to listen to the people who have dealt with both company's, and own both sets of products, do some research of your own and go with what you think is best. Besides your posting on TCSS forums, it goes without saying that everyone here is going to tell you to buy MHS

I don't mean to offend, just adding my two cents