Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Future blade technology?

Default Future blade technology?

I don't recall this topic ever coming up, so I'll start here.

I wonder where we'll go after LEDs (string/emitter) for glowing blades?

I wonder if the flexible LCD displays will ever be sufficient. Or, what about flexible OLED displays? These would allow for a more active light transmission.

Or, will lasers become the new format? They are doable now, but crazy expensive, and dangerous.

Here are a few links to check out, for now:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/f...lay-153252.php
    http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=rollable
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The current LED display stuff we have isn't bright enough. Take an iPod or laptop outside... quite disappointing.

I can imagine the weird visual effect though. Tie dye blades!

I think lasers are never going to do anthing... you can't stop light. The transmission is instantaneous.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

light is like a freeway with alot of drivers. no matter what you do you cannot stop them.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

what about the Light Freeway Police?....they will at least stop those light particles that are lightspeeding.......*buh-dum......tsssssss.....*

"Life tests you! Everyday it brings new chances for triumph or defeat.
    And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."

-Qui-Gon Gin

lol, yea but that would be the.........wait damnit i cant compare those to anything relating to light lol
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

the way I understand OLED sheets is more like electronics paper, I don't think it will ever be made for lighting solutions - the luxeon leds is intended for lighting solutions and we'll most likely get brighter and brighter.

Lasers aren't something you want to have for a blade because of the potential danger - there's one who diffuse green visible laser into a blade, but think about the problem if it goes to the eyes of someone? Luxeons are already dangerously bright ennough as it is, while being thick ennough.

There are led arrays (MR, Hyper) that exists, I'm thinking we could have more leds and brighter ones - the cost is power.

If future luxeons are brighter, again we should have a cost in power, and maybe heat. we could use other type of light sources - why not an halogen bulb or something similar? the reason we're going Luxeon is simple
    1-coloration
    2-size
    3-power
    4-heat

if we end up with 50W luxeon, think of the badass battery pack. Maybe future technology will make more compact power source, the Li-Ion packs are already quite smaller then the C batteries that was in virtually everything in the 70s.

One thing I realised with making my own sabers is that a part of the visual aspect of our hobby is the blade itself. The diffuser filter changes the aspect a huge lot - compare ultra's blades to corbin's to understand - tapered, extension FX, cored...
    the Tip with its reflection base is also something that we need to look for - maybe an angled mirror to focus the light where we need it instead of a flat one?

I'm not sure we'll have lots of other lightsaber prop technology in the future, but I am certain our product WILL evolve...

since I started making luxeon sabers, the price of the luxeon I am using droped significantly, new ones have emerged, better lens, new blade filter, better tips, more knowledge in how to use them, drivers emerged and keep on being perfected...

what's with the future technology? unless it beats the crap out of my luxeon saber without damaging the experience, I'm not sure I'll change for it, but I'm always willing to try new stuff!!
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Quote Originally Posted by 987654321a
    light is like a freeway with alot of drivers. no matter what you do you cannot stop them.
    You have never driven I-5 in LA. Lotsa stopped drivers there...

Regarding future blade technology, there are really two major areas:

1. The physical blade itself and the diffuser
    2. The style in which you choose to light #1.

#1 -- Regarding the physical blade, I can see the following in the future (however expensive and/or not worth the expense for too little gain):

* Machining/lasering the "diffusion" inside the polytube itself, requiring no outside/extra material. This would also allow ALL sorts of combinations to be tried.

* Tips made of "spongey" silicone or rubber, affixed in a way that lends them to stay on better and absorb shock. Like a clear rubber boot.

* "Coning" the blade more in a very unique fashion that creates more of a true "conical blade" (instead of a tube). This may pose a problem diffusion and tip mirror-wise.

#2 -- As to lighting styles, the way in which things light up--many concerns:

* Brighter Luxeons/high-power LEDs. Remember though--it could someday get to a point where the saber is simply too bright to physically wield (although it would look great to an observer far off, say 10+ feet)... and the wielder would need sunglasses and/or tinted contact lenses. No joke!

* Lux Triad might actually have many ways to go, if we all start thinking in three dimensions...

* Improvements upon Hype/MR systems, which is not ideal for dueling, but still cool in its own way. Basically, super-charging MR LED array styles.

* Driver improvements. How the light is managed, in what way, what features are added, what is supported and what is not.

Other than that, there aren't many feasible options as of yet. It is possible that LCD and/or other forms of lighting could be feasible in the future... but right now, they really aren't.

Well... for duel-worthy to semi-duel-worthy blades.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Sith Lord

dang,i just had a crack dream
    what if you put 3 5 watters into the tri lux, and had them all at full power! 15 watts of power
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Ryma Mara

and a 30" hilt cause you ned a huge ass heatsink, a huge ass fan, and a huge ass battery pack.