Thread: 20mm speaker sound review

Default 20mm speaker sound review

Any feedback on the 20mm vs 28mm speaker sound would be greatly appreciated! I watched a video of a Vader's Vault saber with a 20mm speaker and it sounded pretty much the same as one of their builds using a 28mm speaker. I just want to know if the 20mm is actually as loud as the 28mm speaker.

Use the 28mm if you can. It will depend on how your hilt is chambered, etc, but the 20mm is not as loud. The difference may not be as noticeable in your home, but in noisier environments it will be pretty obvious.

Good to know, thanks!

Keep in mind what you back it with. As that make a big difference. I've used a few 20mm speakers in a couple installs. They're definitely loud. But it does depend on the environment around you.

If I go that route, I plan to use a .75"OD x 1"L piece of CPVC with a bit of foam covering one end and the 20mm speaker in the other. With a tightly sealed echo chamber like that, would I get a close sound result to a 28mm speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by jsummit View Post
    If I go that route, I plan to use a .75"OD x 1"L piece of CPVC with a bit of foam covering one end and the 20mm speaker in the other. With a tightly sealed echo chamber like that, would I get a close sound result to a 28mm speaker?
    You would get close. It sounds like the backing you're making resembles mine in a way. I try and find the most dense foam I can. With the speaker back totally covered it sounds really good. For sure you will hear a difference. I would say (MO) its not too much. Test it out if you can by comparison to a 28mm. I guess then just go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jsummit View Post
    That's a similar method that I've been using with my small ID builds. While the sound isn't as good as a 28mm speaker, it's still excellent. In fact, it's actually a little superior in that when using a bass heavy sound font, I've never had phantom swings. The 28mm bass speaker always gives me phantom swings on bass heavy fonts due to the sound board physically being shaken.