Thread: Hello from Wilmington, NC

Default Hello from Wilmington, NC

My name is Tom, I am from Wilmington, NC. I am currently building a Kylo Ren for the 501st Legion, and plan to submit to the Carolina Garrison for approval in April...whenever my boots arrive.

A big part of the build for me, was the saber. The hasbro saber was pathetic out of box, so I am currently modifying it. I didn't even own it for 24 hours when I dismantled it completely following Shameem's thread here. Paying someone else to do it was cost-prohibitive, and I already had soldering skills/tools. So, I took on this project. Minus one more part I am waiting for, this thing is done.

While I have been working on this saber, I discovered TCSS through tuturoial videos by MadCow, Shameem, and others. I have enjoyed building this lightsaber to such an extent, that when I am done, I would like to do a custom modular hilt, perhaps with a RGB LED with color changing abilities, accent LED's, go crazy.

I am a beginner; however, I believe my current project to be fairly advanced in how I have done it. It was a lot more complex of a mod than changing some LED's out. New board, new LED's, removeable blades with set screws, new battery/sound system. Most of the components I have used were right here from TCSS! What an amazing journey this Kylo Ren build has been to bring me to this saber building nonsense that I enjoy thoroughly. In shop class in HS we actually made our own boards by acid dipping, and had to solder them up. I raced slot cars for awhile, which required lots of soldering. I have a great soldering station and supplies already. Most of this seems to be reading the manuals for your board, and creating a wiring/resistor plan.

With that being said; however, some of the Kyber Crystal reveal builds I have seen on the internet are absolutely nuts! I would eventually like to get there, but I believe after the Kylo Ren BS Conversion, a MHS RGB will be the project. I think I found a new hobby! Thank any and all who have already given me advice here, and on youtube! Very helpful forum.

Tom

Welcome to the forums and good luck getting in the 501st!
    Join me, join the dark side!

Welcome to the forums!