Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lathe and Milling Machines?

Default Lathe and Milling Machines?

Goooooooood morning everyone (at the time it's 8:41am est hah), hoping that you all will enjoy your days. I have a question soo what the heck are the differences between lathes and milling machines? The reason I ask is because it seems like they are essential tools for building your own sabers from you own metals and I have a up and coming business unrelated to this hobby and more related to my other hobby XD. Should my business get great traffic this year I plan to mess around with picking up one or the other or both machines if they are a good as I think they maybe. No need to go super explaining because I am a reference finder and if you at least point me in the right direction the for those of you that have these machines instead of Q&A it can be more like a chat thread instead. Thank all.

RogueSyProject
    "We are the hunters and they are our victims. If nothing is true and everything is permitted, then you shall decide if you are a hunter or a victim. It is because only you can control your destiny, my only goal is in the darkness.”

Blog Entries

Lathes are generally for turning round stock and mills are generally for flat stock. Of course there is more to it for both machines. I would suggest looking up mrpete222 on YouTube and watching just about every video he's made. He is a retired high school machine shop teacher and very popular on YouTube. I have yet to get the machines due to lack of space but I've been watching his videos for about 2 years now just trying to learn as much as I can.

On the other hand, those machines aren't necessarily essential for making custom sabers. There are smiths out there that achieve great results with a more humble set up. Eastern57 comes to mind. He even has a thread on FX-Sabers titled something like "machining without machines." You should check that out too.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 03-08-2017 at 07:21 AM.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

That makes sense given the photos I looked up on google after I posted this thread here. mrpete222 has that many videos for those machines!? I can for see me having a bit of a hard time then ahah I'm a very hands on and visual learner which is typical for my generation I suppose since in the beginning we subject ourselves to it for a time. I've been on FX a bit here and there so I guess I'm gonna have to sign up there as well and check out Eastern57's post over there. The closest I have gotten to working big machines are hydraulic cutters, lithographic offset printing press, and the not so technical machine like skill screening press (my favorite of the bunch.) which where fun for me to work with for four years give or take so I'm not new to OSHA and machinery operations and safety. DC how well versed do you think you have become within two years of researching and learning about the lathe/miller?
    "We are the hunters and they are our victims. If nothing is true and everything is permitted, then you shall decide if you are a hunter or a victim. It is because only you can control your destiny, my only goal is in the darkness.”

These machines are for your business, but you have never used one?

Your research should lead you to the biggest hurdle with large equipment like this: Price and power source.

When I first started out researching metal work, I thought: "MHS and metal hilts are overpriced!"

They are not. Time and materials cost money. Like most hobby folk, you wouldn't be able to quit your dayjob and make lightsaber parts all day to make minimum wage.

Good luck, if you are in the states you have many more options at a much lower price than other folks?

Blog Entries

I know enough to know what I am looking at when I see a machine. I am familiar with some basic operations each one does. I am familiar with what type of tooling is used on each machine. And I am familiar with some basic safety practices. But that in no way replaces hands on experience of which I have none. I would probably be fine jumping in and using simpler, smaller machines made by Sherline but would probably be a bit lost with Southbend and Bridgeport.

And I also know that tooling will cost you just as much or more as for the machines.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 03-08-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whosle View Post
    These machines are for your business, but you have never used one?

Your research should lead you to the biggest hurdle with large equipment like this: Price and power source.

When I first started out researching metal work, I thought: "MHS and metal hilts are overpriced!"

They are not. Time and materials cost money. Like most hobby folk, you wouldn't be able to quit your dayjob and make lightsaber parts all day to make minimum wage.

Good luck, if you are in the states you have many more options at a much lower price than other folks?

Whosle no, no my friend my business will be dealing in parts whether wholesale or resell on behalf of the manufacturers in the aftermarket car sense which I am well versed with mostly Honda atm so I have confidence with that. The saber thing is a side hobby that I would like to try as a secondary but, my main focus is the aftermarket car biz. Also I am in states so I will have a slightly easier time but, I still foresee bumps in the road when I do venture that way which is why I am maining my first business.
    Last edited by RogueSyProject; 03-08-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Rule #1. You do not lathe on a lathe, you turn on a lathe.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning

Blog Entries

^^ Thats the man you want to listen to

And yay! I got the terminology right.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Erik.. quit posting and get back to lathing my parts!!
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by strydur View Post
    erik.. Quit posting and get back to lathing my parts!!
    rofl.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 03-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com