Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is an rgb photon blade possible?!

Default Is an rgb photon blade possible?!

Hello All,

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the photon blade collaboration by TCSS and Vader's Vault. I haven't started my journey in the science of light yet, but I'm sure many of you out there have. I love the photon green, but like the ability to change blade color on the fly! Any chance a white photon blade could be made to work with an RGB LED setup? I'm sure everyone would love the possibility of a super bright blade, even in a well lit room or outdoors daytime that can change color!

If not a white, maybe a pale blue or yellow? Just trying to think of something that would be super bright in various color arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by jsummit View Post
    If not a white, maybe a pale blue or yellow? Just trying to think of something that would be super bright in various color arrangements.
    The fact that there hasn't been any further offerings, means that all of the further "research" that has been done hasn't yielded anything "worthwhile" to date.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Currently chatting with Tim about this.

Does anyone have any recommended books on this? Any online links? I would love to help TCSS and VV in the process! Currently checking my local library!

The photon blade works because there is a florescent material that is reactive to blue light. By its nature it can not change its color and be brighter then a regular blade.

I am expirementing right now with UV light and UV reactive paint. I am getting some interesting results but not sure if it will end up being brighter then a regular blade yet. If it does work then this would provide color changing blades by literally changing the blade (to one coated in a different uv reactive paint) if it doesn't work it will be dimmer then a regular blade. Still trying to get the coating to work right.

You'd need multiple compounds, each able to produce light, each having a differing way of activating their luminescence, and they'd all need to be compatible with the blade material.

Chemical X that produces Red when exposed to wavelength A.
    Chemical Y that produces Green when exposed to wavelength B.
    Chemical Z that produces Blue when exposed to wavelength C.

To the best of my knowledge, this combination has not been invented. We have a number of chemicals that produce light when exposed to blue wavelengths (phosphorescents like Fluoroscein), but they all activate at the same time or nearly so.

If you want a bright RGB blade that's visible in the daytime, you'll need a very densely packed string blade with proper light dispersion.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for all your input so far! Some great theories to ponder! Yeah, not a fan of string blades. Just asking for the impossible I guess. Or is it? There may still be another option to consider. I posted in another thread regarding the new Nth Light technology. Here's a video:

Tim said he checked this out and wasn't impressed with the brightness. I wonder though if it could be made better/brighter and be able to change color? I have an idea, but have to draw it out. Be right back!

The nice thing about the pigments that react to blue light is they won't damage your eyes.

Okay, here's the drawing of the idea I had regarding the Nth Light Tech.

NTH LIGHT BLADE THEORY.jpg