Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Temple Guard Pike

Blog Entries

Default Temple Guard Pike

This is a continuation of the thread started here.

I'm using a PRIZM on each end. LEDs are R,G,A(mber). The red and green should give me a decent yellow color, and I'm going to use amber to enhance it and to give a slightly different shade for FOC.

I'm also using a stereo amplifier for each end. This won't really make the saber louder, but it should make a richer sound. I used this amplifier on my shock blaster with good results. I'm still deciding on speakers. I will definitely use one bass speaker on each end. I'm trying to decide on the second speaker. Ideally, I'd use a premium speaker from TCSS, but I'm not sure about placement and getting a mass of wires around through a channel in the speaker holder. I may use one of these Scalelike speakers. That would give me a little more room for wiring.

Obviously this isn't going to be an exact model of the Temple Guard pike. I'm taking some artistic license with it. The style 14 activation boxes are definitely not canon, but I like them. The switches are yellow. (I started with white, but I like yellow better because it matches the blade.)

Here is the under layer.
    IMG_0813.jpg
    I'm using the slotted double male sections as a vent for sound. The project is all about sound.

I have two style 3 extensions on each end. This makes for a heavy pike, but the brass tube fits perfectly onto them (and over the MHS sleeve material). Here's what that looks like:
    IMG_0814.jpg
    Finally, here is a picture of the outer brass sleeve layer.
    IMG_0815.jpg
    If you look at the temple guard saber, you'll notice that the outside sleeve covers about 180 degrees or so of the pike. I cut one brass tube to look like that, but when I did, it popped. It was under tension, and the brass tube expanded so that it no longer fit nicely on the extensions/MHS sleeve. There was a huge gap. I wasted a brass tube, and that stuff isn't cheap. Dang. So now I'll have to keep the tube reasonably intact to get it to fit. That'll mean another deviation from the canon Temple Guard pike. I ordered another brass tube. I'll start cutting into it next week.
    Last edited by hapki; 03-05-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

Looking really good there, can't wait to more.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

It looks really cool so far! How long will the blades be?
    Join me, join the dark side!

Looks pretty nice! Is the brass tube a sink tube with the chrome scrubbed off or something else? If something else, where did you get it?

Blog Entries

The blades probably won't be very long. I'm thinking around 28 inches or so.

Blog Entries

The brass tube is a fairly thick piece of brass tube from onlinemetals.com.

Thanks for the link! Will need to check those out. I may need something like that for saber 4.

Blog Entries

Here's an update:

IMG_0922.jpg

I worked on the etching some. I added a Jedi symbol on one end and a Jedi temple guard symbol on the other end. The ornamentation is from the temple guard uniforms.

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

I also added some texture to the middle part:

IMG_0925.jpg

The etching turned out well. Still, I don't like it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it'll look better when I cut through the brass to reveal some of the silver/aluminum underneath. I think the emblems are too big though. I may try to sand the brass down and start again. I'm not sure if I can do that. Brass tubing is expensive, so I need to salvage it somehow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hapki; 03-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Well it looks very nice but you gotta go with what you like. What method did you use for the etching? The lines look very crisp with little to no blackening.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the alternative perspective. Maybe I'll keep it.

I used saltwater etching. Used a vinyl cutter to make the resist.