Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Temple Guard Pike

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    A little more progress...
    Attachment 15347
    I agree with Whosle... the art-deco details are amazing!

Blog Entries

Default Problems with details

The acid etching on these brass shrouds worked well with the exception of the broad horizontal stripes. You can see how crisp the etching is on one part, but it is undefined on another. The acid etching was not clear, so I sanded it some to even it out. This made it look even worse. I've done so much work on these, I don't want to leave it. I actually tried to re-etch to get better definition, but that didn't help much either. Plus, I etched a deep groove one place where the resist opened up.
    IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    I'm thinking about drilling holes in the shroud to coverup the mistake. I did something similar here:
    IMG_0982.jpg
    That carries risk too. I've ruined many pieces doing stuff like this.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how I can cover up the ugliness without risking a total failure? The brass is fairly thick, so I have a lot to work with.

Blog Entries

OK, I may have answered my own question. Perhaps I could add another thin layer to cover up the mess I made. I'll need to find a pipe that's 1.74" ID.

Nice build. Adding a veneer seems like a good direction. Something a bit ornate; add some depth and interest.

About the amp. I bought the same one a while ago and never used it and currently scratch building a Kylo saber. Could I get some insight in wiring the amp? Do I need to bypass or disable the onboard amp? I'm considering running a bass speaker at the blades and a transducer in the pommel and thinking an amp will help.

I don't usually ask questions without researching but this thread reminded me I even had it. Using a PRIZM as well.

Blog Entries

I haven't started the electronics for the temple guard saber, but I did use one of those amps in a shock blaster project a while back. I powered the amp from the 3.7v output on the soundboard. In this case it was a blaster core module, not a PRIZM. The PRIZM has a similar power out also. As for the sound input, I just ran wires from the soundboard output (speakers) to the amp input. Then I ran positive and negative form the different amp channels to each speaker. I didn't get extra volume, but I think the sound was richer. Again, I haven't tried this on a saber yet. I'm hoping to get a very rich sound. I'll post when I get results.