Thread: LED Soldering....Is it good?

Default LED Soldering....Is it good?

Hey, this is my first time building a saber and I have a tri cree LED, I think I did a good job but IDK how solder should look and if this will work. I pre tinned the LEDs, the wires and the solder tip. Can any one let me know if you think this is good enough? Thanks

Blog Entries

Looks ok for a first go. Better than my first attempt. Give em a tug to see if there are no cold joints. You'll want to heat shrink those splices.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

You don't want that bare wire going over the edge of the sink pad.. there should be as little bare wire as possible. From the way it looks you are asking for trouble with the possibility of a short.

The blobs of solder joining the wires is not ideal. You should twist the wires together and there should only be as much solder as is needed to join them. It may work, at least at first, but it looks like you could anticipate some breakage there. Again, the only bare wire would ideally be that involved in the joint, but if the joint is made properly and the the wires are properly heatshrinked it would be fine.

A good place to start is by watching the videos on the TCSS youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCustomSaberShop There are several videos relating to soldering.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 03-04-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, what he said ^^
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Looks ok for a first go. Better than my first attempt. Give em a tug to see if there are no cold joints. You'll want to heat shrink those splices.
    thanks, and yea i plan on heat shrinking them

thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the advice twisting the joints and then soldering them. I think i will leave it like that and ill just put some heat shrink. If something doesn't work then i know what to do then.