Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The ongoing saga of my bad luck with saber building continues.

Default The ongoing saga of my bad luck with saber building continues.

I started my saber quest about 2 1/2 years ago...
    After several purchases (based on product availability & budgetary needs) I had a saber that looked decent enough and worked fairly well except for a couple minor bugs. My first problem was with this: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...lder-P766.aspx
    It appeared as though the battery holder part was glued to the speaker holder slightly crooked, so it would only go so far into the hilt before hitting it. I solved that by using any tool available (sandpaper, paring knife, etc) to remove the majority of the speaker holder lip on the low side, allowing the assembly to be fully inserted and (somewhat) properly seated.

One thing that bothered me after the saber was done was how the switch looked mounted with a bezel (see my sig). The seemingly random bump just seemed out of place, what with the rest of the saber being so smooth. The other issue was the 14500 battery losing contact with a spring on the battery holder during hard clashes, resulting in a total (albeit momentary) power loss for the saber.

My first upgrade idea was to buy some chassis discs, in order to secure the electronics, which I did 4 months ago (Oct. '16). The discs didn't fit in my hilt, so upgrades after that were put on hold for a while...

Next thing I did was to start going thru threads here as well as watching some of the Madcow / TCSS YouTube videos.

The general consensus was that there was a change in how hilts are made starting around July of '15.
    (Mentioned around 28:43 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrA-FiAvR5U and confirmed by Tim in another thread I posted not too long ago)

Anyways, a couple weeks ago I ordered a new hilt (style 4) and an activation box, with necessary mounting services. The package arrived today. As I'm going thru the bubble wrap bags, I see the new hilt, liking how shiny it is... I attach my blade holder and am really appreciating how nice a job was done with my fairly specific parts alignment request... then it hits me: "Oh crap, I forgot to order the 4-40 button head screw."

As I start assembling my chassis I run into yet another issue: even with a new hilt, the discs are still refusing to go anywhere beyond the threads. I start sanding the OD of the first nano + 18650 disc and when my arms start wearing out it just barely manages to go in, although still with a rather noticeable amount of resistance. I got a bit ahead of myself at that point and tried to just brute force the chassis into the hilt, out of frustration I guess... and wouldn't you know it, the second nano + 18650 disc snapped in half. Maybe I can superglue it back together, but that would still leave me needing to sand the living daylights out of the OD (of all 4 discs) in order to make the chassis fit. Is it possible I got a bad (oversize) set of discs? Even with the older hilt in Madcow's video (yep, linked above) his chassis discs seem to slide in far easier than anything I've experienced with either of my hilts; old (2014) & new (just delivered this morning).

Do you hear that?
    That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way.

I would recommend adding some pics of your issues to your post. Visuals are always important plus someone may see a detail that you may have overlooked. Having another set of eyes (or multiple sets) looking into your problem is helpful especially when you have hit the brick wall.

I agree with DarthSkum and another thing is the fact that depending on the ID of the MHS parts which varies of course is what you would have want to base your chassis disc off of and i just found that out recently. This thread here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...System-aka-MHS tells about the ID and OD of at the time all the MHS parts and depending on what parts you choose might have something to do with you chassis disks problem! Or i'm completely wrong and it's something else but, you wont find out unless "multiple sets of eyes" are checking it out for you.
    "We are the hunters and they are our victims. If nothing is true and everything is permitted, then you shall decide if you are a hunter or a victim. It is because only you can control your destiny, my only goal is in the darkness.”

Wow, that sounds pretty rough. Not that we got the same batch, but I just got some newer chassis discs, and they just fit through my main body (which is a 6" double-female). But, they don't fit inside my electronics shield. Pretty easy fix with a file though. A few minutes of sanding and it fit right in.

Hey have you tried cutting the shield in half?
    "We are the hunters and they are our victims. If nothing is true and everything is permitted, then you shall decide if you are a hunter or a victim. It is because only you can control your destiny, my only goal is in the darkness.”

You can probably get the needed screw at a local hardware store. Any place that has lots of those bins containing different sized screws.

I would definitely superglue or epoxy the chassis disc back together.

When you need to remove a lot of material from a part that will be invisible (like say chassis discs) definitely use a file first. It will go significantly faster then sandpaper.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have no problems sanding down the discs a little. I need the full shield for my build (I'm using it for more than just a shield).

Ignoring the stuff from the past which led to me wanting a chassis based saber... I'm not sure exactly what a photo might show, if there's nothing that can display any kind of scale. It'd be awesome if I had a micrometer or caliper to measure the precise ID / OD of the parts. To move this conversation from slightly odd, to bordering on twilight zone territory, I also compared my chassis discs to my pommel (MPS style 1). They slide in & out of that almost effortlessly... glide might even be an accurate word for the ease of motion, but yet when I try to insert any of them into my hilt - http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Hi...e-4--P866.aspx - (MHS v1 main body style 4) they fight tooth & nail.

Things got a little more interesting though... I placed the led unit (MWS rebel star w/ v3 [long] heat sink) http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Re...dule-P653.aspx
    inside my blade holder, and when I screwed it down into the hilt, the heat sink was blocking the front 1/2 of the switch hole. I may end up needing a small extension or a choke... and possibly some clocking washers...

Unfortunately, living in a small apartment (less than 600 sq. ft) kind of limits my tool having abilities, especially when a garage isn't even an option. (that's east central, rural MN for ya) So my only file currently is a tiny Nicholson looking red handled triangular shaped piece o' junk which really doesn't like playing with plastic, I think I got it with my first soldering kit.

PS: Slightly off topic question... Rampant - how did you turn the words "electronics shield" into a link in your post?
    Even at my age, I still have much to learn about how web forums (& other things) work.

Right click on items in store and copy the link, then paste in post.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinMill View Post
    PS: Slightly off topic question... Rampant - how did you turn the words "electronics shield" into a link in your post?
    Even at my age, I still have much to learn about how web forums (& other things) work.
    No worries, we are all learning something new every day (hopefully). To link words, and not just paste a link, do this:
    Copy link.
    Type message.
    Highlight words you want to link and press the link icon 2017-02-28 06_33_43-The ongoing saga of my bad luck with saber building continues..jpg.
    Paste link into dialog.