Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting Resin Crystals

Wow, nice job casting. I wouldn't have thought they would turnout that good. I think I like real crystals best, but not too shabby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Nah, blue light works better. Fluorescein is the dye in the Photon Blades.
    Ah, I did not know that. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    Wow, nice job casting. I wouldn't have thought they would turnout that good. I think I like real crystals best, but not too shabby.
    Agree, nothing ever compares to the real thing. This is less trying to replace real crystals and more just trying to learn a new thing and expanding the hobby for myself.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

So what's the next step DC? Casting the LED into the crystal?

Blog Entries

Yep. I will be posting a video of the process and result once I'm done editing. It's currently at 45 mins cut down from 80 hahaha. I might just have to provide a time code for people to skip to the results.

Not sure if it was mentioned but you'll want to degas the resin to remove the bubbles. Only way you'll get it "cystal" clear.
    Last edited by ls-event; 03-02-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries

No, I think the bubbles actually work in this instance. And I am not really sold on the idea of buying a vacuum chamber just yet. Maybe if I get into the craft more heavily and want to cast other things.

I agree. A perfectly clear crystal will have nothing to diffuse the light. A flawed crystal typically illuminates things better.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Any thoughts on breaking up current crystals and recasting with the mix of shards from the old crystals? I know you said you were thinking of this, just wanted to know if this was done yet or possible. Not sure how well the resin crystals will break apart.

You may want to try integrating real crystals into the mix. Flourite and calcite are cheap on eBay and can be smashed with a hammer to form all kinds of neat and small shapes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
    Any thoughts on breaking up current crystals and recasting with the mix of shards from the old crystals? I know you said you were thinking of this, just wanted to know if this was done yet or possible. Not sure how well the resin crystals will break apart.

You may want to try integrating real crystals into the mix. Flourite and calcite are cheap on eBay and can be smashed with a hammer to form all kinds of neat and small shapes.
    Funny you should mention that now. Just poured these. I cut up one of the blue ones with some side cutters and threw the chunks into the middle one. I also tracked down some whit leds I had and am experimenting with different combos of led color vs crystal color.

I'll update once I can de-mold

I am intrigued. Thank you for sharing the results, as well as the continuing developments.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!