Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Casting Resin Crystals

Blog Entries

So here are the results from today. Not real crazy with the clear one with blue chunks. I have to play around with the idea more. Maybe smaller pieces and definitely need to work out some of the bubbles. Way too many in this instance.

Clear Resin : Blue Chunks : White Led

Red Resin : Red Led (appears much deeper red in person)

Red Resin : White Led (appears much more pink in person)

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Very cool bro. I to was thinking of doing something like this as well....once i can get my hands on the money for the supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I agree. A perfectly clear crystal will have nothing to diffuse the light. A flawed crystal typically illuminates things better.
    Won't ever be crystal clear, reason why I put quotes, but it won't have bubbles which imo look silly and not something I'd want to illuminate. A bubble free cast will defuse light, especially if you dye it.

Check out Volpin's Needler prop for an example. He's just a great source for eye candy in general so I advise everyone to check his site out.
    Last edited by ls-event; 03-03-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Another test with the crushed particles. This time I used a real crystal and broke it up in to really small pieces. I think this works much better. I just have to work on the ratio now so that the particles fill out the crystal a bit more. I used a white led this time. I think next time I should use a colored led to match the color of the particles.

Looks really good. Kinda reminds me of rocket (?) pops, haha. Could try throw stuff in that catches light (like you're doing anyway) but go crazy with it. Glow in the dark material, treated polyc, metal flakes, list goes on.
    Last edited by ls-event; 03-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

How thick was the part A of your silicone when you first opened it? I got some today from Amazon and it was thicker then bread dough.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

Blog Entries

The alumilite that I used the first round was petty thick. Kind of like gravy I guess. The smooth cast 326 is much thinner. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

Yes that's waayy to thick. Send it back for a refund....or replacement.

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

It left via ups yesterday afternoon. I'm now waiting for the money to post back into my account. After I get paid again I'll try ordering a different type of silicone. But I am very grateful to DC for posting his results with casting crystals. I hope mine will turn out as well as his did.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

Remember if you don't have a vacuum chamber do a high pour to reduce the amount of bubbles in the silicone mold. And pour on the outside rim of the cup, never on the part.....also can turn the cup as you pour if you like.