Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric for a robe.

Default Fabric for a robe.

Is there a specific fabric that was used in the SW movies? i want a jedi and a sith and want them as authentic as possible.

The brown robe fabric was essentially vintage blanket fabric from WWII, found in some warehouse. The chances of finding the exact fabric used are next to zero. A fabric called melton wool is about the closest match you can find, but expect to pay a lot for it... wool is expensive.

Check out the forums on www.thejediassembly.com for more input on this sort of stuff, or www.padawansguide.com. The costuming boards on http://boards.theforce.net are also a good resource.

doesnt have ot be exact i guess what i should have said was a good fabric to use that isnt totally outrageously expensive. i was hoping to make it for under 40$ or so.

Go down to the fabric shop and dig through what is available... odds on you will find something you like

A lot of costumers swear by heavy (bottomweight) cotton twill. I've got some heavy cotton blanket flannel (has that slightly fuzzy, wooly look to it) that I'm going to dye up and see how it turns out.

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by LordArgyll
    The brown robe fabric was essentially vintage blanket fabric from WWII, found in some warehouse. The chances of finding the exact fabric used are next to zero. A fabric called melton wool is about the closest match you can find, but expect to pay a lot for it... wool is expensive.

Check out the forums on www.thejediassembly.com for more input on this sort of stuff, or www.padawansguide.com. The costuming boards on http://boards.theforce.net are also a good resource.
    (Boba Fett's cape was from the fabric used for WWII Tents )

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Even with cheap fabric, to do it right will cost a fair bit as a proper pattern outer robe uses 8-9 yards of material for an average height person.

Theres shortcuts you can take to reduce the amount of material used but it depends if you want something that looks Jedi-ish or something that looks like it could have come from the set.

I used some homespun wool I bought from a re-anactors market that cost a small fortune, but the look, feel and flow is superb so worth the money I spent. Ive upgraded nearly all the parts of my Jedi costume at one time or another, all except for my outer robe. There just isnt anything I can think of to improve it so doing things right the first time saves you money in the long run.
    Phil Higgins

i used a cotton twill basically jean weight fabric. it was white, so then all i had to do was dye to color i wanted.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Ryma Mara

The actual fabric was a type of wool.

Melton IIRC.

I made one my outer robes from a micro-suede look material from Jo-Ann's fabrics. It took about ten yards and cost around $40, I think. I'd have to find the receipt...but here's what it looks like:

It was made froma modified McCall's robe pattern.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.