Thread: Ergonomics-based hilt build

Lightbulb Ergonomics-based hilt build

This lightsaber is my first custom lightsaber build! It's a simple hilt, and it is as it appears in the photo, with one exception: Instead of using the pommel in the photo, I'm using pommel style 4 (not available in the Saber Builder).
    My Force-wielding character is going to be a gray jedi, and I was going for a simple, elegant feel.
    The pommel doubles as a secondary grip for the back hand, and the thumb and index finger wrap around the choke point near the emitter.

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

What do you think?
    How can I improve aesthetically?
    How can I improve ergonomically?

I will update the thread with better pics once the parts come in!
    SUPER HYPED to build my first custom combat saber!

Hello, there. Welcome to the party. Your design looks good to me (I have that plain hilt and choke) they feel very comfy for one handed spinning. May be the long choke would be good. That pommel is quite chunky, the other version has a smaller OD which might be better for a second hand grip. That said, I find TCSS parts always feel good in hand even the ribbed/grooved extension.
    Many people make shrouds or sleeves, paint or powdercoat, acid or saltwater etching and even make holes or slots to expose crystal chambers or add accent LEDs and bargraphs. Most of which comes down to ability or access to appropriate tools/machines. There's plenty of friendly help here and inspiration from other peoples creations.

Good luck and MTFBWY

Grennie

Looks good to me and you can get a leather wrap or knurling for aesthetic and ergonomic improvement.
    Good luck,

Greg
    Join me, join the dark side!

Are you going to go for an activation box? The hilt will certainly work but as is it is pretty plain. That can certainly it will be comfortable but you can add some bits to it and still be comfortable.

I'm going to use Pommel Style 4, but I put Style 3 v2 as a placeholder because the Saber Builder doesn't have Style 4. Style 4 is the one that looks like a knob, with a small 'choke' between it and the hilt.

....and we call that one the Obi TPM

Blog Entries

I think the key to making MHS sabers more aesthetically pleasing and interesting is layering. Be it sleeves, shrouds, wraps, trim rings, etc. Incorporating some variance in the "lines" of the saber will go a long way to making it look unique.

As for ergonomics, it really depends on you and how you interact with the saber. Boxes invoke an OT look and feel but can get in the way of practical use. Button(s) higher up on the hilt will keep them further out of the way while gripping. Larger hands demand longer hilts. Smaller hands demand thinner areas to grip. Etc...

Some questions to ask yourself are: How and where will I hang the saber from my person? Will I draw from the same side or cross-draw? How should the button be positioned in relation to how/where I hang my saber so that drawing and activating is a smooth seamless act? If using a board that supports an aux button, where is the aux button in relation to the activation button? And so on. A lot of these questions can be answered with a simple cardboard tube or pvc mock-up.

Good luck with the build.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I think the key to making MHS sabers more aesthetically pleasing and interesting is layering. Be it sleeves, shrouds, wraps, trim rings, etc. Incorporating some variance in the "lines" of the saber will go a long way to making it look unique.

As for ergonomics, it really depends on you and how you interact with the saber. Boxes invoke an OT look and feel but can get in the way of practical use. Button(s) higher up on the hilt will keep them further out of the way while gripping. Larger hands demand longer hilts. Smaller hands demand thinner areas to grip. Etc...

Some questions to ask yourself are: How and where will I hang the saber from my person? Will I draw from the same side or cross-draw? How should the button be positioned in relation to how/where I hang my saber so that drawing and activating is a smooth seamless act? If using a board that supports an aux button, where is the aux button in relation to the activation button? And so on. A lot of these questions can be answered with a simple cardboard tube or pvc mock-up.

Good luck with the build.
    Thanks!
    Do you have any ideas for what sleeves, wraps, or trim rings would look good on the lightsaber?

My thoughts about wielding style: My desired school of combat is Shi'en, or a combination of it and chii-cho.
    The choke will act as a fulcrum for orbits and orbit-like maneuvers, where the smallest section houses my dominant thumb and pointer finger.
    My non-dominant hand will intermittently grasp the pommel of the saber, which makes the bulb-like pommel optimal.

I intend to cross-draw my lightsaber, although I currently do not have anything in my design for a belt clip. The board I am using will support an aux button. I am considering placing them under indicator LEDs near the top of the choke, but still below the heat sink. Any thoughts of better placement?

P.S. I made $20 PVC lightsabers w/ a combat ready blade and a 12-inch hilt, and the length felt good. (video demo of orbits with the PVC)
    Last edited by Lolwel21; 02-20-2017 at 10:49 PM.

For sleeves, oyu can either use the aluminum sleeve material sold in the store, or the chrome plated brass sink drain tailpiece also sold in the store.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.