Thread: Looking for special rods

Default Looking for special rods

I'm looking for these ribbed looking rods. The guy I took the photo from says he found these parts at either a hardware store or hobby shop. I have searched both with no success. I have seen similar rods used by GCS or Madcow with some of his CC builds. Any ideas or info on finding these rods would be great, thanks!
    Last edited by Jediseth; 02-19-2017 at 04:03 AM.

Hey Jediseth, I suspect that he bought the tube but put the grooves in hisself. You can make similar looking tubes by putting them in a drill and using needle files or a mini pipe cutter to score the tubing. Unless, of course, you have access to a lathe which is how I and many others make them.

Greenie

Yes thank you. I suspected that he may be doing that. The part that is troubling is where did the guy in the pic get them? I will probably just have to settle with your answer. I don't see how he found those. The ribs don't look to me to serve any purpose. Just cosmetics. I didn't think to consider that till you said something, but he may have got the rods smooth for a hobby store and then just did what you said and didn't mention it. Now that I look closely his spacing looks off.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 02-19-2017 at 07:18 AM.

another option if you want something pretty regular and squared like that would be to simply use a solid inner tube and cut pieces from an outer tube, a simple stop jig would give you consistently sized pieces.

Yeah he just did one of the things Greenie said. Cool screen/mesh he has there.

Not exactly like these, but I seem to recall someone using barbed hose fittings in a crystal chamber. Those would have a similar feel to them, if you could find small enough ones.