Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building an R2

Default Building an R2

Our almost 17 year old son came in last night and said he wants parts and supplies to build a custom, full-sized, astromech for his birthday. Based on this Makezine article.

Looks like we're picking up a new hobby.

I wish your pocketbook the best of luck. I hear they're WAY more expensive than lightsabers.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Good luck

You should check out the R2 Builder's Club.

You can download plans, talk to other builders etc. A lot like this site except all about R2 units

It's a fun but VERY expensive hobby

Also check out the BB-8 Builder's group.
    Last edited by Zzan; 02-16-2017 at 08:12 AM.

My wallet has never been so glad that I live in a small Manhattan apartment.

Thanks guys. I created an account on the R2 Builders site. I'm starting to do my homework on the costs, and it looks like I can buy a nice Genesis saber for what a static astromech body.

Ahhh yeah...figure on spending around $2000 to $3000 on building a R2 unit that complex an detailed. ....good luck tho

Plan on spending at least three grand for a basic styrene R2 with sound and radio control. Some of the more elaborate all aluminum builds cost over $15k and a few over $20k! Way more expensive than saber building. I'm doing my research to build a styrene R2 in the coming year, good luck with yours.

I've started adding up the costs. $1200 or so for a styrene body, no electronics, no paint, no frills. Definitely an expensive hobby. Not sure where we will go with this.

Still cheaper than a Sideshow collectibles life sized figure.

$7,500 for something that doesn't even move under its own power, and runs on AA batteries? That's insane.
    Last edited by Quixotic Jedi; 03-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries

I just checked it out online. They offer a coupon for$15. Good grief.