Thread: Performing an upgrade on US.

Default Performing an upgrade on US.

Howdy, in need of some advice here.

So for V-day, m'lady got me a US Phantom Initiate V2 double saber. But she somehow messed up the color on one blade. US customer service being what it is, we are SOL. Which is why after my first saber from them, I said never again. However, Princess didn't know. So since I have to replace an LED anyway, I decided to add sound to them. US Obsidian is way too pricey! Like sweet Jesus. So now I am looking at a Nano Biscotte. Mind you, this is two sabers that connect together, but I figure as a double blade it only needs one sound card, I can add the second later.
    Parts list:

NB V3
    NB V3 MWS Header/Wiring Harness
    12mm AV Mom Red Ring Switch
    65 ohm/0.026W resistor for AV switch
    Li-Ion 18500 3.7v 1400mAh Battery modue with PCB
    2w 20mm Speaker
    ??? Led resistor

Not sure what resistance is required for the orange led they use.
    Also not sure i calculated the AV resistor right?
    Am I planning the parts right for such an endeavor?
    Last edited by arusiasotto; 02-15-2017 at 08:01 PM.

"she somehow messed up the color on one blade" you haven't actually described what "messed up" means. Its possible that its damaged and needs replacing.
    "Not sure what resistance is required for the orange led they use." That is something you need to ask them.

Yes you will want a resistor on your LED. US might have one already installed, you should check and see what it is.

Easiest thing for the red ring on the AV switch would be to use a DynaOhm resistor.

NOTE: Please bear in mind that these forums are part of a company that has NOTHING to do with ultrasabers. People will be willing to help you with MHS parts, sounds cards, wiring and LEDs from this store. But integrating those items, into a US hilt with existing wiring and LEDs, is something you will have to tackle on your own. good luck

Thank you. To clarify, she tried to order two red LEDs and somehow got orange and blue. So I will have to switch the blue to orange. Thats simple enough, i just have to hope THEY WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED can tell me what resistor i need between their orange led and a 3.7V power source. But for sound, the Nano Biscotte was a much better value than anything they make, thus I came here to make sure i dont screw that up.
    Last edited by arusiasotto; 02-16-2017 at 05:11 AM.

If you have a benchtop power supply, the following video will explain how to determine the forward voltage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5IICsTwTYE

If you don't have one of those, then you're stuck asking around, trying to identify the LED yourself, or making an educated guess.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I can always go to my alma mater and borrow theirs, so fantastic advice. Thank you for all the help.

Why not simply get the LEDs you want and just know you have matching LEDs? Compared to the work involved and other costs, the price for a single color LED is pretty trivial.

If you have any questions when you're doing the install, I might be able to help. I've done an install on a Sentinel V4 which wasn't terrible. In the future if you're doing any sort of "frankenstein" build, it would be better to post on FX-Saber forums so the guys on here don't give you a hard time.

Well, i found they are using a 3W 2ohm resistor, to run off 4 AAA batteries. $35 gets me another LED that matches the other blade. May have to be the route I take with these sabers as I finally got my hands on it, and the hilt is so small it barely fits the 4AAA Batterypack. Nor is it MHS compliant. I wish she had sprung for that at least. Space, the final frontier... I am wondering if I can get a setup with either a nano or pico board with a single cell and a 20mm speaker in there. May have to put all this research towards my original saber instead. Think she will be sad I dont play with the one she got me though.
    Last edited by arusiasotto; 02-16-2017 at 06:05 PM.

This guy was able to fit a NB into his Initiate V2. I'm not sure what size bass speaker he's using but it's possible that it could be a 28mm.
    http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=32549.0