Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Katana-style sabers

Quote Originally Posted by elrond.406
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryma Mara
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana
    So I was correct, and so was maul.

*How would a hand guard help on a lightsaber? Wouldn't the blade just slice through [e.i. saber lock]? ...
    If the guard was made from cortosis ore, it would possibly result in either blade-lock, the opposing weapon shutting down, or merely deflection. Why hilts themselves aren't made from cortosis to protect them against being destroyed is actually beyond me....

I thought that it was a toxic type material?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre
    I thought that it was a toxic type material?
    Cortosis? No, it's just a highly energy-resistant ore found in rare deposits. Mostly used in armour and vibroblade construction, as a way to counter a lightsabre's ability to cut through common metal weapons. Disperses and often drains the diatium energy cells, if it is specially-treated, too, I think. From what I remember when read in 'I, Jedi', the cortosis-laced armour the Jensaarai wore drained Corran Horn's sabre's energy-cells. Often, when a blade of pure energy (i.e., a lightsabre) touches cortosis ore, it sometimes just switches the weapon off.

Maybe thats why sabers arnt made of it cause its so close to the energy cell of a saber just being near it would prolly cause a problem.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

i guess the most probable explanation is that cortosis is an extremely rare and expensive material
    also, cortosis is quite brittle

Default The answer to all this....

Mandalorian Iron!