Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I give up.

Default I give up.

I have about $900 in parts and can't make anything work. I give up. Who wants my stuff? I must be the worst rookie saber making on the forum. Time to go back to Chess.

Post pictures of your wiring. We can help.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yes we definitely can
    Join me, join the dark side!

If you haven't tried washing a saber filled with electronics... then you're not the worst newbie.

Worst case scenario is that you may have damaged the board, and you'll have to send it for repairs. Best case, you're just overwhelmed and we can help you sort your issues out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Well I was in a hurry and needed a shower, and had that saber I was working on ..... Close call. ok, second worst. I am using a Pico Crumble - Dark Version and a Petit Crouton, and have tried for last three days at least a dozen different ways to wire it. So far no noise. I got light once but nothing each time today. I don't know where to start

Quote Originally Posted by scinnamon View Post
    Well I was in a hurry and needed a shower, and had that saber I was working on ..... Close call. ok, second worst. I am using a Pico Crumble - Dark Version and a Petit Crouton, and have tried for last three days at least a dozen different ways to wire it. So far no noise. I got light once but nothing each time today. I don't know where to start
    Take a few pics and let us see the wiring. You may simply have a blob of solder in the wrong spot or something. You may wind up just having to strip off the wires and solder and start again.

Less is more. Starting with the Crumble first is smart. Let's get that one going then you can move on to the Crouton.

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so frustrated but please don't give up, anyone smart enough to play chess can learn to build a saber that works. Yes the washing the saber incident was pretty bad LOL but any old-timer in the hobby can tell you that back in the early days we made a ton of 'rookie mistakes' [I'd hesitate to admit some of mine lol] before we figured out what have now become standard practices. We've all made mistakes learning this hobby which can comprise so many different fields from metal-working and finishing to electrical and sound engineering to optics and colour theory but instead of being disheartened please see that as an opportunity - this hobby can be incredibly educational. Keep at it and keep learning and you will succeed with a little 'Jedi patience' and perseverance and there is a lot of help here on the forums to help you do so. Good Luck and MTFBWY.

Well, for starters, the leads are too long (especially the speaker wires, and the 2 dark blue wires). I am assuming that you have all of those going to the proper places, you need to clean those connections up. Also do you have a recharge port of some type?

Also, when posting pictures, take pictures of things like the LED, recharge port, the battery, etc. so we can see where ALL of the wires are going to.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I don't think I am following the wiring instructions correctly. I have from the battery positive and negative to pcb pads + and -. Speaker I didn't know if it mattered + or -, just hooked up to pcb pads. Then another wire from battery to switch and then switch to activation pad. Then another wire from battery positive to LED +, and LED - to red pad on pcb. There is a dyno resister between LED - and battery. I also tried a buck puck and a 2 ohmn resister.