Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleeve material won't slide over the blade holder and extension joint.

Blog Entries

Something's not right. Can you unscrew the MHS parts easily? If so, try turning one around (flipping it end over end once), if your design allows it. Did your u use grease! If not, you may have jumped a thread. It's odd. MHS parts usually fit perfectly.

Thanks for your input hapki, but I believe everything is working fine except for the slight offset. I use silicone grease on the threads and it screws and unscrews perfectly fine so jumping a thread is definitely not the case. If I flip it to the other side of the main body, it is actually aligned. But The switch hole is already drilled so the design is pretty much set for this orientation. It actually is the same case with the other hilt, except not as much offset as this and also aligns when I flip the main body on that hilt. I'll just resort to sanding some material off to make it slide freely.

Blog Entries

Really odd. I've not seen anything like that before. Did you email Tim?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I haven't emailed Tim yet since I thought it might be a common thing and thought to ask the forum first before anything. I'm inclined to email him now that some of you mention that it is odd.

If you have already scratched the hilt materials trying to fit the sleeve, my next step would be to sand down the offset. A few seconds under a grinder, then start a gradual increase is grit sanding 300 to 600 to 900 finishing with either 1200-1600 grit.
    I myself have only seen one slight defect in a male thread on a blade holder style 17. This was a non issue for me though due to the fact that the defect was at the very top of the threads and my configuration would not allow me to screw blade holder all the away down into a choke style 3. I bridged the gap with one of the trim rings (black). I like that look so much I added a second trim ring to the far end of a DF5 that was the main body. My defect was more than likely caused when either the thread milling bit was applied to the milled piece or it happened at the end of the thread cutting process as surface pressure of the bit was decreasing and caused the bit to walk a little. Not an issue for me though.

ROOT CAUSE Theories: It could have been a slight glitch/hickup in the CNC process that caused this? I would imagine that Tim has all his parts CNC profiles stored somewhere and just inserts a new profile when it time turn out a new batch of #whatevers.
    Calebration on the of the tolerance specs. on the thread profile was scheduled but just had not taken place at time of turning your parts?
    Slight defect in the material itself?

I'd let Tim know for sure so that way they can find the issue and implement immediate solution.
    Last edited by DarthSkummelavsky; 02-15-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSkummelavsky View Post
    ...I myself have only seen one slight defect in a male thread on a blade holder style 17. This was a non issue for me though due to the fact that the defect was at the very top of the threads and my configuration would not allow me to screw blade holder all the away down into a choke style 3. I bridged the gap with one of the trim rings (black). I like that look so much I added a second trim ring to the far end of a DF5 that was the main body. My defect was more than likely caused when either the thread milling bit was applied to the milled piece or it happened at the end of the thread cutting process as surface pressure of the bit was decreasing and caused the bit to walk a little. Not an issue for me though...

ROOT CAUSE Theories: It could have been a slight glitch/hickup in the CNC process that caused this? I would imagine that Tim has all his parts CNC profiles stored somewhere and just inserts a new profile when it time turn out a new batch of #whatevers.
    Calebration on the of the tolerance specs. on the thread profile was scheduled but just had not taken place at time of turning your parts?
    Slight defect in the material itself? ...
    Huh? What did this defect look like?

Thank you for the detailed input DarthSkummelavsky. I don't have access to a grinder, but I'm plenty patient with sandpapers, drill, and a dremel. Right now I'm just doing it the other way around by using a drill with a flap wheel and sanding the inside of the sleeve material instead since it's cheaper to replace the sleeve when I make a mistake. Then just hand refinishing the scratches off of the MHS parts.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I could not view the pictures as imgur gives some error but if parts screw together and then are slightly shifted to one side usually you can unscrew the parts and then with pressure to the side it needs to shift to tighten them back together. We make the threads pretty loose so there will not be as much issues with parts getting stuck but generally not enough to cause a issue like that.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    I could not view the pictures as imgur gives some error but if parts screw together and then are slightly shifted to one side usually you can unscrew the parts and then with pressure to the side it needs to shift to tighten them back together. We make the threads pretty loose so there will not be as much issues with parts getting stuck but generally not enough to cause a issue like that.
    Thanks for the response Tim, I appreciate the input sir! Putting pressure to the side it needs to shift to was the very first thing I tried when I first received it. I've tried several times with no success, it's then that I started this thread to ask the kind folks here.

The sleeve slips fine when it's not fully tightened, but just stops and catches at the joint when fully tightened. The only way for me to let it slide freely is to sand to remove material from the sleeve's ID using a flap wheel for the outer parts, sandpaper wrapped on a wooden dowel for the deeper parts of the sleeve.

I moved the photos to photobucket for your reference. These are of opposite sides of the same blade holder-main body joint.

------
    EDIT:
    I emailed Tim and he graciously offered to replace the part after seeing the photos. He mentioned that this was not up to their standards. Much much thanks Tim!!!
    Last edited by Insight; 02-15-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Best way to describe the defect (scar) is if you have ever tried to drill a hole in a round piece of metal with a hand drill and you did not take the time to mark your hole with a center punch giving the drill bit something to bite into when it starts to remove your material. I am providing a pic that shows where the defect occurred. do to the internal construction and part layout this was a non-issue for me and did not have any effect on my build.

In the picture where my red arrow is pointing to is where in the threads the defect started. The "scar" was less than 1/8 inch in length and not even a 1/5 of the depth of the normal threads.
    MHS defect.jpg