Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleeve material won't slide over the blade holder and extension joint.

Default Sleeve material won't slide over the blade holder and extension joint.

Please pardon my inexperience, but I'm having trouble having the MHS sleeve material slide over the joint between the blade holder and the MHS extension or main bodies.

I've sanded the sleeve edges to make sure there are no burrs on the sleeve's edge openings, but am having no luck of it sliding over the joint. I've noticed that the blade holders on my couple of hilts are a hair offset from the main bodies or extensions when fully threaded in thereby causing my issue, especially since the tolerances of the sleeve to the body is really precise.

I've tried searching the forum for a few days for some tips and have come up empty handed. Is there a small tip I'm missing to have my sleeve slide over properly over the joints?

To start, it might help us to know which blade holder & which extention you're working with. I know from experience that the sleeve material fits very closely over the MHS parts & you might need to sand the joint down a bit in order for the sleeve material to slide smoothly.

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Thank you for your tip! For the parts I'm using, I'm working on a couple of hilts to add the sleeve material on. One has blade holder 17 connected to a 1.2" double female extension, double ended male threaded connector style 1, and main body style 2. The other hilt has a simple blade holder 1 connected to a main body style 3.
    Last edited by Insight; 02-07-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Does it fit over the main body? I once put material in a vise, which warped it some. Then it wouldn't fit on the MHS parts. I can't figure out why it would only get stuck on the connection, though.
    Last edited by hapki; 02-07-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Feel along the inside edge of the tube if there is pointy stuff that means there is a bur you need to either file or scrape off before the sleeve material will slide on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by insight View Post
    i've sanded the sleeve edges to make sure there are no burrs on the sleeve's edge openings, but am having no luck of it sliding over the joint.
    doh

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    feel along the inside edge of the tube if there is pointy stuff that means there is a bur you need to either file or scrape off before the sleeve material will slide on.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks for replying guys. I haven't put the main bodies on a vise yet so they are definitely not warped. The sleeve does slide fine over individual parts. It's just that when they are joined, the resulting slight offset at the joint stops the sleeve from sliding through.

I have deburred the ID of the sleeve edge. But like NaasadTal mentioned, I'll just have to do some more sanding to the sleeve ID or the MHS joint OD to clear everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    doh
    Doh indeed good sir lol

I wonder if the threading is off on one of the parts... I've never had MHS pieces sit at an offset when screwed together. Is the offset visible?

Yes, they are visible. Here are really close-up photos of opposite ends on the blade holder and main body joint on one of the hilts. It's only off by a hair. Scratches are the result of me trying to work the sleeve in.

*Post edited, moved the photos to photobucket instead of imgur.
    Last edited by Insight; 02-15-2017 at 03:54 PM.