Thread: Blade film vs blade diffuser

Default Blade film vs blade diffuser

Hello all,

I'm wanting to pick up a couple of different blades for my Luke Hero. I already have a white blade from VV which looks great but is very wide and a little white washed.

I want to get a clear blade, and a green one, but am unsure on weather to use the blade film or the blade diffuser for both. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I personally have used all 3; the Diffuser Tube, the Blade Film, and Cellophane.

Personally, I think 6+ feet of Cellophane wrapped in a couple wraps of Blade Film looks best, but that is just my opinion

I think most people use one or the other. There's a really old thread with some comparison shots. Here.

I've tried all of them and imo all the diffusers have their legitimate advantages for certain applications so it really matters what you want it for:

The "TCSS style" diffuser TUBE is very useful for anyone who intends to "gorilla duel" to prevent the permanent 'crinkling' that can sometimes occur with blade films under EXTREME heavy impacts.

The "Corbin" diffuser FILM is very useful for anyone building Original Trilogy replicas who wants to recreate the 'core effect' seen in OT movie posters [when used with clear blades] and also can create a pseudo-extend/retract optical/perceptual illusion when used along with a Pulse Width Modulation equipped LED driver [originally Corbin drivers and most all soundboards nowadays] though it is not as slow or definite as possible with a LED-string blade and is more visible to some people than others [personally I can see the pseudo-'retract' illusion clearly but can barely see the pseudo-'extend' illusion - YMMV].

The silvery-clear cellophane/polypropylene/acetate/mylar "gift wrap" diffuser FILM [available in any bargain or stationery store] is very useful to reduce the 'base flare' and for 'evening out' the brightness of a blade along its full length and is particularly helpful with extra long blades. IMO gift-wrap film blades also look more like Prequel Trilogy sabers than the 'core effect' of Corbin film style blades.

It should be noted that 'gift wrap' film and 'Corbin film' can both be used together to create an 'Erv style' blade.

So it all comes down to what your intended use is - since you specify that you are talking about a VV LUKE ROTJ HERO [and already have one of their excellent dual diffused blades but are looking for something different] then I'd suggest that, unless you intend to do extremely heavy gorilla dueling where the tube diffuser really shines, perhaps you might want to consider making an 'Erv style' blade using clear blade stock, rounded tip and Corbin film available in the TCSS store plus some gift wrap; that way you'd get some OT poster style core-effect and still have nicely even illumination out to the tip with the true colour of the LED that a clear blade allows instead of what you find "white washed" colour not to your liking. Good Luck and MTFBWY.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 02-04-2017 at 06:19 PM.

I am new to this and am getting ideas and parts together to start building my first saber. Has anybody tried using mirrored window tint inside clear blades? Since the mirrored window tint works on the same principles as a two way mirror, in theory the light should reflect off of the mirrored finish within the blade tube, but since it is darker outside of the tube in theory you should be able to see the light reflecting within from outside. I could be completely wrong with this theory but I thought I'd throw it out there.

People have tried mirrored window tint inside blades before. As I recall, it didn't do much except dim the blades a lot.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for the response. I hadn't been able to find any posts regarding that idea, and found it to be intriguing.