Thread: R.I.C.E. Port ESD?

Post R.I.C.E. Port ESD?

Hey guys I am planning my second saber featuring a PRIZM. I wanted a switch box and wanted the style 14 very quickly. But there is one issue... It is the Rice port; so I am worried about killing my soundboard if i accidentaly touch the port while spinning on carpet and ,,loading" it via esd. So: Is it really that dangerous? and if yes, Do i need a PVC insert or something like that?
    Thank you for your help!

Greg
    Join me, join the dark side!

Or did I mess someting up/understood wrong?

Typically to fry a circuit with ESD you need the circuit to have a different ground than you. So for example, if you walk across the carpet and then grab the saber off the table, a static discharge could go from you to the saber to the table to ground. The big reason to have the PVC insert is that there are parts on the sound card that can be fried if the current from the battery hits the parts the wrong way, say from having two parts of the sound card touch the metal body at the same time.

Blog Entries

Are you asking about frying the PRIZM from static through the R.I.C.E. port? I use these ports a lot, and I've never had any trouble. Truth be told, I'm not very careful about ESD with my boards. I think it takes a lot of juice to fry one. ... Like when I accidentally mixed up the + and - from the battery. Now THAT'LL ruin your day.

Ok, thank you both very much for helping me!