Thread: 2003 Darth Vader board convert

Default 2003 Darth Vader board convert

Hi people. I´m from Argentina (Sorry for my very bad english) and I want to make mi first lightsaber. I buy in Ebay a 2003 Darth Vader sound board, but instead of using a strip of leds like the original, I want to use a high power led. The problem is that I do not have an idea of how to do the conversion, the wiring and neither of what battery to use. Please, can anyone help me? (I attach an image of teh soundboar, the circuit is dated 21/10/2003)
    IMAG2019.jpg

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Process would be similar to that discussed here, but the details may change depending on what exactly you are looking to upgrade and/or what you are looking to reuse from the stock parts.

That particular board will also require the use of a DPDT style switch or button if you do not plan on using the original that is currently attached to the board. A wiring diagram for the AV style that is sold in the store here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/AV...-Long-C68.aspx looks like this:

The rest of the board will be wired very much like the Luke Skywalker ROTJ board:

The brown wire is the board negative, the green and yellow wires are for the speaker, leaving the orange and red for the battery positive....only one is necessary. On the front of the board where the blade plug is located, those wires will need to be added to your board....I prefer to remove the white plug and solder new wires to the pads on the board, like this:

The pads on the board should be labelled as "VDD" (the positive for the led string and you single led) and numbers 1-6, which are the grounds for each segment of the led string. Those need to be connected together either with a single wire soldered across them (as shown in the above picture), or by bridging solder and then adding a single wire for your blade led.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 01-31-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Hi again! Thanks Cire Yeldarb and Jay-gon Jinn for the help, the photos and the data You help me a loot!!!
    Cire Yeldarb I want to use all the pieces in the Photo, except for the switch (I want an AV style like Jay-gon Jinn has guessed) and the original led strip for a single high power led (Red 3W / 700 mnh) and add a common led for a simple crystal chamber
    I have more questions:
    1 - The High Power led is connected to the cables of the led strip without a resistor o a buckpuck?
    2 - When it is finishes, (with the high power led, the crystal chamber led and the AV switch whit light) it is going to continue using them 6AA batteries or use other configuration?
    3 - Where add the crystal chamber led? It use a resistor Too?

Sorry for too many questions but Im a complete noob and thanks again