Thread: Soundfont volumes

Default Soundfont volumes

I just completed my first saber build. Nbv3 in a US hilt. I took Erv's advice from another post and downloaded the cf8 fonts because the swings on lightmeat are so quiet. But loading shatterpoint, tfu2, etc, I've noticed that none of the other fonts are as loud as darkmeat, the hum sounds specifically. I want to buy some fonts from saberfont but not if they aren't as loud as the darkmeat font. Is darkmeat really the loudest font?

There's a volume adjustment in the config file of the NB. That can improve things a bit.

Having a proper space for resonance is also important. If your speaker is right up against then end of your hilt, it's going to be quiet. You want the speaker about an inch or more away from the end of the saber if possible. See this thread for more info: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...s-hammered-out!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Nbv3 comes set at highest volume. Ive got about 2 inches in front of my speaker so resonance is fine. Like i said, the darkmeat font is crazy loud, the hum for lightmeat is crazy loud, but like many others have pointed out, the swings on the lightmeat font are barely audible. Volume setting is at max of 4, plenty of resonance. Many post about using "Audacity" or other programs to boost the volumes, but I don't have such programs. I just can't see paying for a font of you gotta rework it just so it's louder. I'm sure it's not the volume or the resonance, because like I said, the darkmeat font is loud enough to be heard in the other side of my house with the doors closed. It just seems like every other font I've tried other than the stock 2 that came with the nbv3 are half as loud on hums and 3/4 as loud on swings..

Audacity is free, and works on Mac, Windows, or Linux.

Thanks for that info! Is it difficult to just remake the wav file at a louder volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nemesis 21 View Post
    Thanks for that info! Is it difficult to just remake the wav file at a louder volume?
    Not at all IMO. I've used Audacity to make custom boot sounds louder. You would just click effect > amplify.. and then set how much louder you want to make the font. Just be sure when exporting the file to clear the tags (artist, track name, etc.) as I've found having them in the file can make weird click noises at the end when played off the NBv3. Be aware of how loud you make the font. I made a R2D2 boot one time that sounded like R2D2 was screaming in your ear; not pleasant at all.