Thread: How many screws are necessary to securely mount a sink tube on an MHS part?

Default How many screws are necessary to securely mount a sink tube on an MHS part?

I'm using a 1.5 inch sink tube over a MHS V1 hilt part, would I need 3 or 4 screws around the top section of the sink tube and 3 or 4 on the bottom? Or are there alternative methods besides screws?

Blog Entries

It really depends on design, orientation and functionality. The sleeve below is sandwiched between two trim rings and held in position with only the D-Ring screw. You could also use epoxy or perhaps a reverse set screw. Although, I don't know if the sink tube has enough wall thickness to handle a reverse set screw... never tried it.

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Due to the design, I can't use trim rings because the shrouds go over MHS parts but don't end when the mhs section does. Screenshot_2017-01-25-01-13-48.jpg

Blog Entries

Hard to see much with that little pic but you could probably get away with one well placed screw.

Your design shows up very small on the forum. From what I can see it looks like a nice design. Also from what I can see you have one section only of sinktube acting as a shroud at the emitter. I do not see an area large enough to act as a place for a button or activation box except at the shrouded emitter section. If you plan to use that section for your button/activation box then you just gained at least one point of contact right there. Since its the emitter section you are going to need a screw of some kind to act as blade retention so depending on what you use and where you place it that could act as another point of contact. Likely between those 2 points you are probably good to go. If after you make it you don't like the feel you could always add 2 more screws on opposing sides for symmetry.

One comment. Since your sinktube is going to be exposed end on, everyone will be able to see its thickness. If you have the money consider buying sleeve material from the store. Its made of aluminum and a few times thicker then sink tubes so when exposed end on it looks pretty good. It also does not deform as easily when you begin to cut large pieces of it away.

Good luck!

To expand on minorhero's point, the thin sinktube material may also be prone to getting dinged or bent with a cut at that angle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    To expand on minorhero's point, the thin sinktube material may also be prone to getting dinged or bent with a cut at that angle.
    I didn't even think of that, but true and I agree.

Whether you choose sink tube or sleeve material it looks like you are planning on using blade holder 3. You can situate a single screw in the beefy part just above the threads.

I actually have that right here and its as secure as can be.

Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-25-2017 at 07:33 AM.