Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BuckPuck vs Resistor ... And a q. About a Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchnerd View Post
    I guess this takes up a bit less room? It has the colours and the sounds and many other 'bells and whistles' that come with it. So is there alternatives to use or would this be the best option?
    Single 3.7V cell takes up less room, and is cheaper. Best is a tough one. Prizm is the cheapest and simplest board that supports color changing. Take a look at the comparison chart. At the end of the day, best is going to depend on you, your skills, and your plans for this particular saber.

I haven't got round to reading the resistor calculation link you sent yet, but I did manage to look at part of the first post, I know I should of carried on reading but I just wanted to ask, would I be right that to work out the calculations for the resistor I need, for each colour, I'm going to need to know the battery I'm using, and to know what battery I'm going to use I'm going to have to decide on a soundboard? Would that be correct?
    That's correct. The soundcard dictates the battery. The battery voltage is critical to the resistor calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Correct. Pick your sound board first. The board you choose will determine your battery solution. Some work best at 3.7v, others work best at 7.4v. The sound card manual will tell you which is best, or if in doubt, you can ask us. Once you have a battery solution, you can work out the resistor values.

Unfortunately, there are currently no RGB AV switches in the store that let you choose the color. The RGB AV switches available will just cycle through their colors on their own. If your Google-Fu is up to par, you may be able to find an individually controllable one somewhere online. Not sure, I haven't looked myself.

For a color changing saber, the Prizm is probably the best starting option. The CF with Color eXtender works better, but it's a good deal more expensive. More complicated to wire up as well.
    This may seem a silly question but the rechargeable batteries, would I wire in a recharge port somewhere into the saber?? On the other hand, the other batteries (that aren't labelled rechargable) when they run out of power, how do you re-power them, new batteries? And would going with a rechargable battery and recharge port be the most convenient thing so you don't need to keep unscrewing and screwing the hilt/pommel over time?

Blog Entries

The Pico Crumble also does color changing and is less expensive than the Prizm, PC, and CF. Although, it has other limitations. There is a demo video posted over at FX Sabers.

This may seem a silly question but the rechargeable batteries, would I wire in a recharge port somewhere into the saber?? On the other hand, the other batteries (that aren't labelled rechargable) when they run out of power, how do you re-power them, new batteries? And would going with a rechargable battery and recharge port be the most convenient thing so you don't need to keep unscrewing and screwing the hilt/pommel over time?
    You can mount your recharge port on either the inside or outside of your saber. There are a few videos in the video tutorial section you should check out. Yes, non-rechargeable batteries need to be replaced. A rechargeable battery and recharge port are the most convenient set up in my opinion. However, the are some that like to use removable rechargeable batteries so they can have multiples and swap them out as needed.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末