Thread: Question about wiring a string blade into PRIZM

Default Question about wiring a string blade into PRIZM

Hi, so I recently picked up a PRIZM soundboard (it has kind of been an impulse lately when I see them in stock) and I want to wire a string blade onto the board. I didn't really have a preference for scrolling effects so I decided PRIZM should be perfect because I get all of the bells and whistles that come along with the soundboard as well. Anyways, my main concern was figuring out exactly how to wire a string blade onto the board. To my understanding, each board negative for the LED drives up to 1023ma, but I'm planning on wiring about 100 20am 3.4v 5mm LEDs in parallel which would require then 2000ma to run. So based on this information, does it make sense to bridge two of the board negatives for the LED together, then go into the override file, delete all the color profiles except the first one, then turn both drives that I'm using to 1023, then run the common negative LED wire from the soundboard up to the string so that I could achieve around 2046ma to be pumped into the string? Sorry if that sounds confusing, any advise would be much appreciated. If I'm doing it all wrong, feel free to tell me as well. Thanks a bunch!

Why a string blade if you don't want the scrolling effect? A single LED solution is super bright, and with a well diffused blade is it pretty even, too.

The "1023" drive settings are just an arbitrary scale, not an actual measure of current since Prizm. Total current limitations are going to be up to your resistors, with each channel supporting ~2.5A max.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Why a string blade if you don't want the scrolling effect? A single LED solution is super bright, and with a well diffused blade is it pretty even, too.
    Hi, your totally right, Prizm is definitely more compatible with a single LED solution, however, I was just curious as to how a string blade would look. Personally I have never seen one before, and I have done plenty of tri cree installs, so this is more of an exploration of ideas for me rather than just installing a normal single LED. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kouri View Post
    The "1023" drive settings are just an arbitrary scale, not an actual measure of current since Prizm. Total current limitations are going to be up to your resistors, with each channel supporting ~2.5A max.
    Ah, I wasn't sure if the drive settings were directly correlated to the amount of mA being driven through the wires. So then I should be fine hooking up the string to only one channel as long as my battery is capable of outputting the required current then right? Thanks!

HELLO! I am about to do the same thing with a Makato String Blade. I'm also about to wire it to a PRIZM V4 and I had the same exact question running through my mind. My sabers have been passing this blade around like an ex-girlfriend. I don't care what anyone says, I've tried numerous blade types with single LEDs and NONE of them are as bright or as evenly lit as this string blade. However, both String and Single LEDs have pros and cons so that's why I'm a fan of both. I know this is an old post but I was hoping you were still around to tell me how it worked out and if you learned anything? Thanks!