Thread: Changing Blade Colour and Using LED Modules

Default Changing Blade Colour and Using LED Modules

So the lightsaber I want to build is to have a red LED for a red blade, but I want to be able to change the colour to other colours if my nephew fancies being the good guy once in a while. Is this possible with items from TCSS??

Meanwhile, the amount of different parts are just going over my head and for weeks I've looked and watched and look and read, it's just gone over my head. So I decided use a Module will make life a lot easier and be a better introduction to these items, instead of guessing what I'm buying is correct and not actually knowing. Well looking at the individual items in the LED Modules it looks that getting a changeable colour LED isn't part of the Module, so my question next question is ... If there is a LED that means you can change colours when you like, is it worth putting on my Wishlist all the items that make up a LED Module but the LED itself, replacing it with the LED that I want (the changeable colour one)? Would this mean I would have all the correct it's for the LED module?*

This would then allow me to move onto parts for ...

• Blade

• Switches

• LED Drivers/Sound

• Power Supply/Battery

If there is any other section/area I have missed out i would be grateful if someone could tell me what I'm missing

It is possible to "switch" colors, if you pick the proper sound card (the Prizm and anything above that level would do it). You would also need to wire it to a Tri-Cree Red/Green/Blue (we all use Royal Blue) would be the LED you would be looking for. Reading through the sound card manuals (Prizm, Petit Crouton, Crystal Focus) would also show you how to wire the LEDs, plus there are areas ont he forum that also discuss wiring diagrams and such.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    It is possible to "switch" colors, if you pick the proper sound card (the Prizm and anything above that level would do it). You would also need to wire it to a Tri-Cree Red/Green/Blue (we all use Royal Blue) would be the LED you would be looking for...
    So Selecting a Tri-Cree R/G/B would be the correct LED to use and to get the colour change, using the the correct sound card, The Prizm and anything above that would be good enough... And making sure I wire things correctly!. So would my 'plan' of using the item description of a LED Module and the Tri-Cree RGBLED instead of the LED that's originally part of that module, would that still work?

I hope I'm making sense? Lol
    And thank you for the information!!!

Red/Green/Royal Blue (a.k.a. RGrB) is the ideal LED for color mixing. You wouldn't necessarily need a LED "module", it depends on what exactly you are building. If you are building a hilt from store parts, you would need the heatsink/LED holder assembly. And yes, wiring things correctly is a critical element for getting things to work right.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Well eventually it would be to have a fully working hilt and blade, but I can't afford to be it all together at the moment.The Lightsaber itself will eventually be for my nephew. He has many designs and is always making new ones, but there's one or two he loves. Eventually I would like to be able to give him one of them. But for now, I would like to gather the necessary parts to start building up the saber.. Luckily I have a few aluminium and steel rods floating around the home with different ID's varying from 1" to 2" so I was planning on using the 1.25" ID to help build up a chassis. Of all the things I've seen about these Sabers being built, I really like the intricate detailing and the quality of having a crystal chamber. So the idea with the modules wasn't just to get me started with parts but the help put together a chassis that holds all the equipment and has a really nice crystal chamber, whether or not it will be see in the end doesn't matter, the idea of making the chassis and all the part fits has me a little more intrigued that the look of the hilt itself, only by a little though lol. Would you have any suggestions on the best way to approach this. Like I said I would prefer to build the chassis (including the crystal chamber) first then either put together a complete design or use different parts from TCSS to help put together a Lightsaber that is just perfect for my nephew!

Personally, I would design the saber itself FIRST, and then work inwards. Yes, many of us can make really nice sabers with all kinds of fancy things, but not off the bat. YOu will be spending a lot of time (and money) doing and redoing things, if you don't plan properly ahead of time.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I will be planning everything down to the minute detail. Really, I'm trying to build a complete list of items required to be able to complete the build. Which will eventually include the hilt itself. But by completing a list of what I need for the electronics to work, I can start to build a picture of the space needed inside and whether a smaller hilt will be to difficult to house the chassis while keeping it looking good, or whether going with a longer hilt. If I know that the ID will be, 1.25" and its going to be the same diameter all the way through, that's why I thought of putting the chassis together so I can work out the length needed and where, if there is going to be a section to view the crystal chamber, where abouts on the hilt that will be to look best and keeping as close to my nephews design as possible. I totally realise I'm new to this and looks like I'm working backwards lol I just have a picture in my head of how I want to proceed with things. If that makes sense.

Blog Entries

Good luck. It can be overwhelming at first, with all the options and electronics. It starts making sense the more you read and study the forums. This community is good about answering questions, as you have just seen.

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    Good luck. It can be overwhelming at first, with all the options and electronics. It starts making sense the more you read and study the forums. This community is good about answering questions, as you have just seen.
    Thanks!! It's is a little bit, but it's just a challenge I look forward to taking on!! Lol it may take me a while, but I'll get there and I've received nothing but help and support from people here which always eases the process! Mine or my nephews love for lightsabers and Star Wars won't be going away any time soon so, it should be a good project and I cannot wait to see the finished laightsaber!

One other thing you could do, to simplify, is use quick connectors for the led itself. Then unscrew the blade holder, swap out the led. You couldn't do this on the fly, but it would be easier and wouldn't require a more expensive board.