Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Textured chrome tape and Gold Tube?

JediRanger...I do hope you see it as XWing described it - a form of flattery. Your design was most definitely inspirational. Let me say that I hope mine turns out as aesthetically pleasing as yours did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    JediRanger...I do hope you see it as XWing described it - a form of flattery. Your design was most definitely inspirational. Let me say that I hope mine turns out as aesthetically pleasing as yours did.
    Oh HECK, yeah I do!! That's why I had all those (winks) with my comment!

Your's is lookin great, BTW!
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Thanks to all who replied. I would like to find a place that sells gold plated pipe like the ones used on lamps. Still no luck finding a place that sells the textured chrome tape.
    Tim

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

yes jedi ranger, that peiece is awsome although I don't trust myself to make something like that. jonitus, great job on that.

BLUE 3- Ready

Quote Originally Posted by teentitans14
    Thanks to all who replied. I would like to find a place that sells gold plated pipe like the ones used on lamps.
    Pretty sure that's just plain polished brass tubing, though I guess it could be yellow chrome. You can buy brass tube at onlinemetals.com or as was suggested, strip the chrome off of a brass sink tube. Many folks have had success with that, myself included.

You can get strips of the tape at blast-tech.com

How thick is the nickel/chrome layer on the sink tube? I'm trying to make an estimate of how much time it would take to sand through to the brass.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

The thickness of the nickel plating is just a few microns, so it doesn't take long. What does suck is if you get a tube that was copper plated before being nickel plated...that takes a bit more work. I would estimate that the initial stripping of the nickel from my tube took 15 minutes of vigorous sanding.

Mk. So it doesn't take as long as I thought to get past the nickel layer. What I assume takes awhile is sanding the tube smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamaniac
    Mk. So it doesn't take as long as I thought to get past the nickel layer. What I assume takes awhile is sanding the tube smooth.

...umm...yeah...

The sleeve I posted a picture of? That finish took about 150 man-hours to achieve.

Patience is a virtue. Not that it helps, but it makes for a neat saying.

Holy...crap.

That is a CRAPLOAD of time! A week of straight sanding...holy crap.

Hopefully for a smaller piece, it'll take less time..........even then it'll take a long time with your estimate.