Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Textured chrome tape and Gold Tube?

Default Textured chrome tape and Gold Tube?

Does anyone know where I can find textured chrome tape? I am also looking for a place to purchase 1.5 inch gold colored pipe?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    P.S.
    Great site by the way!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Textured tape like the Luke ESB and Anakin ROTS? Graflexshop.com sells the stuff. It's just a 3M product. I bet if you looked hard enough it could be found locally.

Gold colored (brass or bronze I'm assuming)? Any size in mind? The chromed sinktube found here can be sanded down to their brass base.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

How would you get the scratch marks off the pipe left from sanding?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Sand it with a higher grade sandpaper (up to 2000 grit) then polish it with a metal polish.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

This:

is nothing more than a brass sink tube that has been sanded with progressively finer and finer grits of sandpaper from 120 to 2200, then polished up by hand with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Lots of work, but it is worth it.

my local home depot have the brass tubes in stock, non-chromed. you might have luck locally.

Jonitus, did you put a clear coat of lacquer over the polished brass? my brass tube turns to a dull brown in less then a week
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

No, no clear lacquer. I rubbed a good coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on the polished brass. It gives a nice shine and keeps the patina at bay. Not only does brass turn brown as it oxidizes, but your hands get to smelling REALLY bad after you handle it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    No, no clear lacquer. I rubbed a good coat of Johnson's Paste Wax on the polished brass. It gives a nice shine and keeps the patina at bay. Not only does brass turn brown as it oxidizes, but your hands get to smelling REALLY bad after you handle it.
    Or turning green... I got that from playing my trumpet. I have highly acidic hands that eat the finish faster.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Hey, now THAT looks mighty familiar!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    This:

is nothing more than a brass sink tube that has been sanded with progressively finer and finer grits of sandpaper from 120 to 2200, then polished up by hand with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Lots of work, but it is worth it.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Imitation as a form of flattery. Like in my next saber I will use copper. There is a slight nod/influence from Corbin's ancient saber
    RED LEADER Standing by!