Thread: question about the nano biscotti

Default question about the nano biscotti

I want my saber to have a light and dark mode, Red/ Blue with light and dark side saber sound. Can the nano biscotti board support a different color with each sound font and still have FoC using a Red/Green/Royal Blue Cree XP-E2? I have been lurking for awhile now trying to plan out this electronics install but cant find an answer to this question. If it cant...what board would be recommended for this function? I am aiming for basic light and sound but wanted this color change function for a saber to travel with that can be used with 2 different costumes. Ive tried not to be the annoying newb so I hope I didnt overlook something simple here. thanks for any advice you can throw my way

Blog Entries

I think you'll need to use a Prizm, PC, or CF to get what you want.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

like DC said a prizm, pc or CF is what you want. people have done color changing with the nano but you will be incorporating an external switch/potentiometer etc. The other boards will make things much easier.

A dedicated color change board like the above suggestions would work with your above LED.

Alternatively you could wire your LED module with quick disconnects and swap the LED module. This wouldn't be too expensive if you only need two colors. This would require you to (at a minimum) unscrew your emitter remove the LED module and disconnect it and install your new LED. You could then simply change soundfonts to match your blade color (2 soundfonts on the Nano Biscotte v3). From what I've read this will also have the advantage of being a bit brighter than the RGB setup since you can have two dedicated dies (like on a Blue/Blue/White Tri-Cree XP-E2) vs a single die (or a single and partial power on one die like green) on the Red/ Green/ Royal Blue set up.

I've done the Nano Biscotte + Arduino solution. I can change colors with a serial interface or cycle preprogrammed colors on an extra long button press.

That being said, if you don't have any coding or hardware experience I suggest simply getting a purpose built Plecter board from TCSS. The premium boards have some other nice features not available on the NB, and you probably wouldn't save much money by developing your own setup from scratch.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 01-03-2017 at 01:46 PM.

I have no background in coding or hardware so I should probably steer clear of the last suggestion. I have been waffling back and forth between the Prizm board and the Nano Biscotti with an interchangeable LED for each mode suggested by grAfLEX25. The costs wouldn't be much more and the potential increase in brightness is appealing to me. Of course since the OP, its been recommended to me that I have a lock up feature in the saber for photos which would probably firmly put me to using a prizm.

That would probably be your best bet.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com