Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picked up an empty SF hilt

Default Picked up an empty SF hilt

Swore I would never give them money but I figured it was second hand, no harm. Has anyone ever done an install into one? Its a Quinlan Vos style hilt, there are two holes that i could use for switches but they have screws in them now. I was thinking of just making a stunt out of it but the pommel has nice vent holes and it would be a shame not to use them.

I will say that after inspecting it TCSS parts just feel nicer in the hand.
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

I'm not a big fan of their stuff, but this is what you'll need from TCSS:
    1" heatsink x1
    LED x1 (whichever you prefer)
    Any resistors you require
    28mm speaker x1 (I prefer the bass speaker)
    12mm momentary AV switch x1 (lit or unlit), x2 if you are going for a PRIZM or something
    12mm Recharge port x1 (the actual port is the normal 2.1mm slot, but the head is 12mm. Some other smiths sell them)
    18650 wired rechargeable battery x1 (3600mA one from the store is nice)
    Soundcard x1 (only ever done NBv3 on those hilts... fits best)

From emitter to pommel, there's the blade retention screw, then the LED retention screw.
    Then there are two 12mm holes for the switches. Sometimes there are metal covers glued in,
    and are removed fairly easily by drilling into them and leveraging them out. Install isn't hard,
    just be careful about shorting out the soundcard. Use some of the plastic tubing sold here to protect it.
    If you are planning on using a 3D printed chassis, the ID of the body is around 1.14" or so, but it varies.
    Do your own measurements if you have the tools to do so.

I hope that helps, and MTFBWY

thank you! I was thinking of using that new Pico Crumble sound card, since its tiny.
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

how does this look?

Pico Crumble - Dark Version
    2W 28mm Bass Speaker
    Heatsink module for 1" ID tubes
    12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Green Ring Switch
    7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack
    Acrylic Chassis Disc for PC and 18500/18650 pack - S2
    MHS speaker mount V2 - For 28mm Speakers
    7.4V Li-ion smart charger with 2.1mm plug
    Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack

thanks for catching that. i swapped out the battery and charger

Keep in mind that the chassis disks will not fit properly. You also seem to have them set for the Petit Crouton, which will of course not for the Crumble. If you are planning to light the switch, you will also need a DynaOhm resistor (or the correct resistor based on your calculations). Your speaker mount will also not fit, as it is too large for the ID of that hilt. The recharge port will be tricky. It is too small for the 12mm hole. Everything else looks fine, except for the lack of an LED.

i figured if the disks / speaker mount was too big i could sand the outsides a bit. is there a chassis for the crumble? i didnt see one.

ah crap how did i forget the LED. i was trying to decide which one to get. Putting this together for my GF, she prefers yellow even tho Quinlan has a green blade, was going to go with white and that way she could use a color filter

did a quick measure, yeah looks about 1 inch ID. the MHSV2 chassis would be a better fit
    Last edited by Cern; 01-16-2017 at 02:38 PM.

There is no chassis disk for the crumble at the moment, since it was just added to the store. Sanding a 1.2 disk could work, but that would still take a while. In my experience, I found it easier to use 1" pvc couplers to fit the inside of those hilts. Cut off the bump that's sometimes on the sides and it's a perfect fit usually. Good luck!

If you're looking for a chassis that will fit nicely, try GOTH-3Designs over on Shapeways. DarthRyo dose some excellent work, they are all modular, and offered in different OD's. I'm rocking one of his Chassis Modules in my ASP, works really well.

If I recall the body on the SF Vos is nice and long. If I where doing that kind of build, I'd go for a Nano Biscotte and use this chassis https://www.shapeways.com/product/NH...ionId=55961446

Please note that other chassis options are available, just sharing the love