Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First from-scratch build. Old Republic style

Default First from-scratch build. Old Republic style

Hi all,

So I got my MHS parts earlier this week, and now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with it. Ryan Heller's work is a HUGE inspiration, and I've been drooling over a Satele Shan saber since I first googled "Etched Lightsaber" images.

The boring image is the hilt as it sits now. Parts list:
    - MHS Blade Holder 18 (with MHS heatsink. Can't remember which)
    - MHS Choke Style 1 (short)
    - MHS 8" Double Female Extension
    - MHS Pommel Style 8

The photoshopped image shows a very rudimentary overview of my general idea right now. It draws on Ryan's Old Republic-style hilt with the copper and brass shrouds, and would feature a brass shroud with copper rings and a copper cover on the rear of the hilt. I'll create claws out of brass, and hope to get my hands on some tactile switch covers from Anthony Jossis too. I also plan to etch the hilt, although with what, I'm not sure. That can come later, but it'll be a "light side" style etching, with geometric elements that draw on Celtic culture, and Aurebesh characters for any writing.

I'll be doing a 3D chassis for it, including a rumble motor, RGBW LED, and so on. Probably a NB3 for now, as I don't want to destroy a CF8 if I botch the soldering. Anyway, I'd love some input. Thanks gang!

As is, no detailing

Mockup of shrouded version

UPDATE:

I edited the mock up to better reflect my goals. I'm looking at either a modified version of the Prayer of Saint Francis, a continuous geometric pattern, or celtic elements for the etching. Not sure which I prefer as of now.

I also reduced the overall hilt length of the saber, by changing from an 8" extension, to a 4", a 2", and a crystal chamber extension so I can lock the chassis in up toward the emitter and also have a little reveal action going on.

Cutaway to view crystal chamber windows

Circuit board (pretend it's any geometric pattern you'd like)
    Last edited by dioggi; 01-18-2017 at 01:39 AM. Reason: New design concepts

I really like the mockup. Good use of layering. How do you plan to create the brass claws?

Really nice. Also interested in what fabrication methods you plan on.

Really liking that mock up. Very cool design
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Blog Entries

Looks cool. Those sleeves and claws (?) Struts(?) lay over threads and heat sink. Were you planning on mounting the with screws? Could be a little troublesome without the right know how and equipment.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Saw this over on Facebook & am looking forward to watching the progress!

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Looks great. I can't wait to see you put it together.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone! I'm looking forward to the journey of this build.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Looks cool. Those sleeves and claws (?) Struts(?) lay over threads and heat sink. Were you planning on mounting the with screws? Could be a little troublesome without the right know how and equipment.
    That's a great question, and I hadn't thought of potential issues with the heatsink. I was planning on using screws, but now I need to reevaluate. I'm open to ideas!

Tweaked the concept a bit. First post is updated.

Blog Entries

Well, unless you want to drill and tap through threads and possibly the heat sink you should reconsider the placement of the sleeves or just not do them. I've been building for a little while now and I still won't mess with drilling and tapping through threads.

The last etching design with the circuitry looks very similar to a recent build by Darkmatter73. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...de-PRIZM-saber
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks DC. Looks like a fantastic build!
    I'm thinking if somehow you could make the 2 brass collars and the struts into 1 piece, and slide it on after any other finishing/etching it could work. Very short set screws maybe?
    Looking forward to your solution
    -Darkmatter73