Thread: MR board on house current

Default MR board on house current

So anyone have an idea of what I would need to use to have a mr board run from a wall socket. I am going to make a light box for my OT cover transparency and want to have it make the saber sounds when it comes one. There is most likley going to be 3 florescent lights in it as well.
    There is to much "me" in this world. There needs to be more "we".

Council Member
    Sith Lord

you would need to resistor the crap out of the house plug. there could only be as much power as 3 to 4 AA batteries going to the board. otherwise it would send up the magic smoke
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

You'll need a step-down transformer to take 110V AC and turn it to 4.5-6V DC.

At one time, Radio Shack used to sell a "Universal" power supply that could plug into the wall, and it had a slide selector switch ranging from 3 volts up to 9 volts. Maybe you could find one of those?

Yeah Jonitus, RS still carries them. Saw one today.

I dont know if the power supply would work. I want to only have one switch that turns on the lights and the board.

just wire the wallmount adapter to the MR Board, and use the stock MR switch to control power on/off. The stock switch is not so practical, but it can be replaced by any kind of switch, even a pedal switch or a lamp switch.
    *reads back the first message*
    mmm, ok then, so you need a fluo control and sound fx from the board (I though you would like to use a luxeon from the board for the light thing.
    ok :
    the fluo tubes are powered by a special inverter converting 110 v to something like 1600 V or 3000V.
    Take a multi-outlet
    wire the fluo balast to a plug, plug it into one outlet
    put the wall mount DC adapter in the multi outlet as well
    shorten the 2 wires of the on/off switch of the MR board
    Now what you just need is to power on/off the AC side of the system. To try is out, manually plug the multioutlet into a AC outlet : the fluo light up and the MR board as well.
    Now 2 options :
    use a multioutlet with an onboard switch (generally red)

or cut the wire of the multi outlet and wire a pedal switch in the middle, like this one. Make sure to choose a model that accepts enough power for the fluos.

what kind of fluo are you using ? cold cathode ones ? or regular house/garage fluos (might be big for the application you're planning)

that's it !
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Thanks erv and everyone I'm still in the planning stages so I dont know what kind of light. I plan these type of things in my head while I am giving my daughter a bottle at night. Nothing else to do. I think I am going to try and mount 2 .45 scale mr sabers on it also. One on each side. And then use colored acrylic rods as blades and have the light shine through them as well.

if you're looking for a cool way to light up your transparent box, you have two cheap options : cold cathode tubes (powered by a DC 12 wallmount adapter), or EL wire.

EL wire can be found at TCSS !
    Good luck for your project !
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com