Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RGB LED Light Engine

Default RGB LED Light Engine

Take a look at these. I would like to hear thoughts.
    http://www.mouser.com/lamina/
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
    Witty Quote

Spoon fEeD A nOOb

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

They'd be fine...

They're higher voltage than the Prolight RGB. Also different optics, than the normal ones.

Other than not having to order from england or ebay I don't see too much of a reason to try those yet.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Other than not having to order from england or ebay I don't see too much of a reason to try those yet.

$90 for one?!
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The $90 one is a 39 LED cluster. The RGB is at the top. Still around $30. That's still more than a Prolight RGB.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I can't wait to have a tripledriver and try those.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Or you can just wait untill Bodi finishes his brighter than sunlight project. In my opinion I think either Bodi is busy out of his mind with work and a scratch built prototype is time very consuming or he found out his technology doesn't work and he is too embarrased to tell us after how confident he was that it would work and is afraid guys like James will as they say throw him in the bushes.
    "The Force is my Ally"

Did you get a gander at the specs? 3 different voltages are required (4.5V for the red, 6.7V for the green, and 7.6 for the blue). You would probably need to run at least 8.4V (7 AA cells) and seperate resistors for each lead to the LED. The red resistor is going to waste a lot of power as heat. It may be possible to tap seperate leads off the pack to keep the voltage near the desired operating number and keep the resistor value low. It appears the maximum amperage is 450 mA so you can't overdrive them that much. All that and you are only going to get 120 lumens max when all three colors are on (120 lumens red+green+blue=white, 105 lumens red+green=yellow, 57 red+blue=purple, and 78 lumens green+blue=cyan). Then you will need to use their optics and, although the pdf mentions Fraen optics, I have never actually seen one of the Lamina optics to give you an opinion of it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it as I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. But the decision is yours and if you want to use one, then by all means do.

I think this LED blows the one you found out of orbit .

http://randomsabers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2252
    "The Force is my Ally"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

We talked a bit about that at TFN...

I assume he wants this for the RGB quality. Not pure lumen count (in white only as far as we know too).
    RED LEADER Standing by!

personally, I don't think a RGB setup is a good deal when it comes to lumens output. I'd get this or a triple luxeon setup for the sake of versatility - changing the blade coloration in realtime.

Better even, having a custom saber that delivers color effects depending on saber movement. Cooooool.

As Ace mentionned, this particular RGB setup isn't the best out - R, G and B aren't similar in any way, might it be input current/voltage or output luminescence. Therefore, its a harder time to use then 3 luxeons (that aren't identical, but more similar IMHO)

anyway, with this setup on the market, we can only assume there's going to be more and more RBG high luminescence to come.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers