Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some Fun With The New Vinyl Cutter

Blog Entries

Default Some Fun With The New Vinyl Cutter

Picked up a Cricut Explore Air to cut vinyls for etching and some other fun things.

Here's a peek at a little something for the saber I'm currently working on and a fun little sticker on my phone case. The trooper is a little janky because i didn't feel like redrawing the image I swiped. And granted the design on the brass is more geometric than organic but the are some pretty fine details and the cutter handled them nicely. Pretty impressed with the quality of the cuts so far.

With the right accessories, this thing can cut even thicker materials and perform debossing, and engraving.

Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-07-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Very nice bud. Getting some fine lines there. Your current project looks intriguing, is that brass?

Very nice looking brother...wish i could afford one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Very nice bud. Getting some fine lines there. Your current project looks intriguing, is that brass?
    yes sir. It's brass

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixHawk View Post
    Very nice looking brother...wish i could afford one.
    Dont know if it is still active, but I bought direct and used an online coupon. Saved almost $30 on the machine and a few rolls of material.

Looks great.

dtO4YBJl.jpg
    I made this using the Silhouette Portrait. It took a few tries and tweaks to get it to come out right. The main problem I had was with the small holes and dots coming out and getting dragged around the cut. When the lines were too fine they'd either pull up during the cut, or the interstitial material was impossible to weed out.

Blog Entries

Fortunately haven't run into that yet. The cricut cuts pretty clean. I used the cricut brand vinyl but unfortunately it's a temporary vinyl and slipped during the etch. I picked up some oracall outdoor vinyl #651. Hopefully it will stand up better to the solution.

Blog Entries

I got a Silhouette Cameo 3 for Christmas. I can't wait to get started with some etching. It helps to see you how are doing it.

Love these guys! DC where did the super thin brass come from?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    Love these guys! DC where did the super thin brass come from?
    It's just 22 gauge 1.25 OD sink tube with the chrome plating sanded off. Wall thickness on these things vary between about .025 and .029. Was lucky enough to grab one at .025 thickness. Gives a little bit more room to do things.