Thread: Thundarr Sun Sword blade colour

Default Thundarr Sun Sword blade colour

Hi good people,

So I have been contemplating trying to obtain an inspired Thundarr the Barbarian Sun Sword but of course struggling with the concept the blade is yellow but it has a blue corona.

I would think champions like Garry Ripper would be able to simulate a blade with that broad look but doubt it could replicate the blue corona look so was thinking a good homage could be a blade that glows yellow but flickers blue ever 5 or so seconds. I imagine this would probably need an RGB programmed somehow but have no clue on what would b sensible for this.

If anyone has any ideas on this I am really keen for ideas or feedback on the best soundcard to support this.

Hilt wise of course i would be looking for a double handed saber not a one handed thing to stick to a bracelet.
    I could be Arca Jeth if only I had his lightsaber, could pull off wearing all orange and wasn't so darned angry

too bad it wasn't the opposite, because it looks almost the exact opposite of this
    I49dSafl.jpg
    This is a blue LED through a clear blade, the enhanced yellow, then the tip sitting at the end.

I just tried putting R+G yellow through my standard blue day blade and it wasn't quite the effect. You could try (definitely not promising this) RGrB led with an enhanced blue blade with a mix that included a little bit of blue to excite the blade. The enhanced blades are cloudy and have a slight tint compared to regular day blades, so it could work.

As far as flicking to another color, I've done that with an Arduino (random split second shift as part of an "instability" effect). It requires some extra parts and programming experience, but it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    too bad it wasn't the opposite, because it looks almost the exact opposite of this
    I49dSafl.jpg
    This is a blue LED through a clear blade, the enhanced yellow, then the tip sitting at the end.
    Hey jb,

Actually the reverse if that would be a better homage than a flicking blue yellow blade.

Running from flame yellow upto blue would look great IMO, how exactly would that be achieved?
    I could be Arca Jeth if only I had his lightsaber, could pull off wearing all orange and wasn't so darned angry

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

You could look into the "Enhanced Day Blades", specifically in Amber. They are activated by the same Blue LED that the Photon Blade is, but to a much lesser extent. From what I have heard it produces an interesting core effect sometimes, where the outside is the color of the blade with a blue-er-ish core... the exact opposite of what you want, but similar enough to mention. Haven;t seen it in person though, just relaying what I have heard.

To clarify, the photo was about 4" of clear blade material butted up with the enhanced amber, with about 4ft of gift wrap. The end of the enhanced amber has no gift wrap.

I think you might be able to pull off the effect you want with enhanced blue blade and an RGB LED. The exact setup would depend on the sound card you are using, but if you could make your main color the brightest red+green yellow you can with a touch of blue mixed in I think that COULD work. I don't have the blade to test with, but if it works anything like this blade it just might be what you are looking for.

Thank you for this concept, I do have one of the original photon blades which I dislike due to the core effect but if their is any chance of a yellow blue mix the core effect I think is workable and I am well on the way... Any opinions if it could be worthwhile to add a blue tip and or look at getting a piece of standard blade meshed in to show the blue?

Maybe as a homage but still keeping it lightsaber like I should be looking at number 2 flame style for inspiration?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lame_types.jpg
    Last edited by Choos; 01-05-2017 at 04:38 AM.

I would just use the matching tip, I think. I didn't really think about it before, but the Thundarr Sun Sword is actually inverted from a natural flame.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I would just use the matching tip, I think. I didn't really think about it before, but the Thundarr Sun Sword is actually inverted from a natural flame.
    Cool cool, I think running from blue to that type of amber with the matching tip will be the way to go for a homage saber but it would be great if it is possible to weld on a few inches of normal blade before migrating to the enhanced Day blade, any ideas on how this could be done? For thin walled blades would a 7/8" for example fit the 2 pieces together?

After much contemplation, google & rewatching Thundarr I am now convinced those Amber Enhanced Photon blades are the way to go for a Thundarr homage saber.

In the cartoon often the blue corona isn't seen or is quite subtle so less would probably be more in a real life saber.

If I was looking at a Nano Biscotti 3 board would I be better off having a Blue/Blue+Blue FOC or RoyalBlue/RoyalBlue+RoyalBlue FOC?