Thread: Issue with LEDs being too dim

Default Issue with LEDs being too dim

Hi folks!

I've just wired up my components, and I'm finding that it's really not glowing very brightly when activated, even when I go into a completely dark room. Battery is fully charged; is there anything else obvious I'm missing? This is my first saber, so it wouldn't be the first thing I've missed along the way

Here's what I'm working with:
    7.4v Li-ion 1400mAh 18500 Battery Pack
    Crystal Focus Sound Module V8
    Photon Green™ Show Blade 1" OD (38 inches)
    Blue/Blue/White Cree XP-E2 CopperNova

I put the following in my override.txt; my intent is for the two blue LEDs to be on all the time with the white added on top for FoC.
    led=950,0,0,0
    fled=950,950,0,0
    lled=950,950,0,0
    focmix=0001

From what I could tell, 1000 is the absolute highest I should set any of these numbers with these components, right?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by CharlesB; 01-02-2017 at 08:55 PM.

First and most important question is do you have your Blues wired in series or in parallel?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I have them wired in parallel.

Charging for 4.5 hrs didn't make much if any difference, so I've updated the original post.

I also have 4.7ohm 5w resistors on each of the blues. With more searching I've read that resistors can cause dimming, but the CF8 was getting pretty hot without them. Maybe I went overkill though?

Edit: The question about parallel or series wiring helped me search out other threads and learn that since I'm wired in parallel, I need more current since it's split between the two blue LEDs. So I upped the values to the following... and it made no difference. Clearly I'm still missing something Since the blues are the main issue, I focused on modifying that value.

led=1400,0,0,0
    fled=1400,0,0,0
    lled=1400,0,0,0
    focmix=0001
    Last edited by CharlesB; 01-02-2017 at 10:32 PM.