Thread: tri-rebel or cree tri-xp-e2? Also need wiring help.

Default tri-rebel or cree tri-xp-e2? Also need wiring help.

I've heard that the 3 LED cree are better than the tri-rebels. Is this true? How much better and in what way? The tri-rebel is $9.50 cheaper in the configuration I want (RGB), so if it is only a small difference, I'm inclined to go with the cheaper option.
    Also, I want to use a recharge port. I'm a little unclear on how to wire the port up, I find it rather difficult to find simple build diagram, as most folks want lots of extras I don't want. For example, I don't want sound, it makes my brain buzz. I'll use resistors rather than a buckpuck. (on a side note, do resistors go on the positive or negative wire?)
    I'm considering a couple options at the moment. Either 3 separate power buttons (latching, of course), each wired to a separate LED, giving me what should be options of 7 colors (red, green, blue, yellow, purple, cyan or white), depending on which buttons are depressed.
    I've also considered using potentiometers instead, one to each LED, to give me a full range on each color. I imagine I would need a single power button in that setup, wired to everything. I'm a bit concerned that I would bump them while holding the saber though, if I had them accessible from the exterior, and screw up my colors (like an old fashioned radio, you bump the dial, you lose the station). Perhaps have them in the chassis inside?
    Also, are there other options to mounting a blade in a 1.25" sink pipe rather than the part in the shop? It seems there must be something I could make to work. Perhaps PVC?

Hey Aziara! I`m new to saberbuilding and i have the same question with the Cree/Rebel so i can´t help you out with that but I am sure that where you put the resistors doesnt matter but if I am wrong here, go with the positive site of the leds... Well if you want LED´s I(!) would use the Pico crumble board by Plecter Labs, which has the Mute On The Go feature which disables sound or you dont wire the speaker... Hope i could help!
    Join me, join the dark side!

(ignore this)
    Last edited by GregTheForce; 01-03-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: mistake, im sorry

Crees are brighter than rebels.
    Here's your recharge port diagram.
    JSTwiredrechargeport.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheForce View Post
    I got the Cree/Rebel question answered by Darth Chasm (Thank you!) and he says that the Cree´s are brighter and that means they don´t live as long as the Tri-Rebels... I personally decided that i am going with the Cree... Hope i could help you!
    Just to clarify, this is what I said...

Hi Greg,

I've never used the Rebels so I can't really comment on them. I have heard the same rumor about them being phased out but I have no idea when that is supposed to happen. I know the crees are considered generally brighter than the rebels and are on a better star that helps with heat management leading to longer led life.

Good luck.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

So the Cree has a longer lifespan AND it's brighter? That would certainly explain the slightly higher price tag.
    I really didn't want to bother with a soundboard (both for monetary reasons, and considering I'm unlikely to ever use the sound), though that Pico crumble is the cheapest I've seen yet.
    Any thoughts on my ideas for running a RGB led without one?

Blog Entries

You can read about the Sinkpad-II - the star used for crees - on any one of the single cree product pages to get more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    So the Cree has a longer lifespan AND it's brighter? That would certainly explain the slightly higher price tag.
    I really didn't want to bother with a soundboard (both for monetary reasons, and considering I'm unlikely to ever use the sound), though that Pico crumble is the cheapest I've seen yet.
    Any thoughts on my ideas for running a RGB led without one?
    The Crees are brighter, their "lives" are roughly the same, if operated PROPERLY. Factors like "overdriving" can lead to a shorter life span for ANY LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Just to clarify, this is what I said...

Hi Greg,

I've never used the Rebels so I can't really comment on them. I have heard the same rumor about them being phased out but I have no idea when that is supposed to happen. I know the crees are considered generally brighter than the rebels and are on a better star that helps with heat management leading to longer led life.

Good luck.

Hey Darth Chasm, and Aziara, i am really sorry that i twirled around what Darth Chasm said... I did read his respond fast and so i messed things up a little bit... Well now i will just have to use quotes... Again i am really sorry Chasm and Ariaza...

Blog Entries

No offense taken.