Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need help.

Default I need help.

Okay this my first working EL saber. Now the idea is to wire the inverter just like the one in the tutorial https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/f...topic.php?t=15, but with another LED to show that the blade is getting power.
    First off I need to know that if I wire everything like this will it work, if not what do I need to make this work. This will show how I will wire everything together
    I'll take any help you guys give me.
    Some walk on the Path of Light
    Some walk on the Path of Dark

I shall walk both Paths.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

led on the left wont work as that is a/c power.

led on the right wont work. you have both leggs going to negative. One should go to black and the other should connect to the resistor which would then connect to red. This led would always be on by the way.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can make that work.

I shall walk both Paths.

Looks like your diagram is way off. I'm guessing that if you're using a basic inverter, it has a DC (battery) in/out and an AC (the blade, basically) in/out. Your switch then needs to go between the battery and the inverter... there's no separate input/output for a trigger-switch. This pretty much makes the power indicator LED redundant since you'll know the blade is getting power because it'll glow whe you switch it on. Like Strydur said, it appears that the way you intend to wire it, the red LED will always be on as long as the batteries are connected. If this isn't what you intend, then you'll have to introduce a second switch.

Also, the way you have it diagrammed, you have the resistor branching the pos and neg in a way that doesn't affect the LED. Also, you'll want to run the LED in parallel to the inverter or the resistor will reduce the voltage to the inverter to unusable levels. Here's what your wiring should look like:

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Agryll, shouldn't the positive for the led be after the switch? that way when you turn on the saber, the led goes on. otherwise wouldn't it always be on
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Yes, but in that configuration the LED comes on at the same time as the blade which defeats the purpose of having a power indicator (because you know you have power when you turn the saber on ). Ideally he needs a second "kill" switch between the LED and the batteries.

And oops, I realized that there should still be a resistor between the two AC leads.

Now I got the inverter from the saber shop here,
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc...-inverter.aspx
    and it has the leads to the mono jack, the battery, but what about the switch leads?

I shall walk both Paths.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

did you look at the picture
    sorry if that seems rude, but it says where they are right on it.
    now, if you have the thing in hand and it doesn't have the switch leads then ya might want to pm tim with pics
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I'm just asking because of what LordArgyll is showing and I don't want to cut the wrong wires now.

I shall walk both Paths.

Never mind, I think that I'm going to leave the LED out, now. So now my question is that since I not going to use the LED that means I don't need the resistor, or sould I still have it.

I shall walk both Paths.