Thread: Saber naming process

Default Saber naming process

Haven't seen a thread that discusses this aspect of a saber smith. Personally, I use a method of trying to match up two words that describe the wielders personality then translate that into a foreign language that looks really cool. Example: I recently sent off a Jedi build to a family member; I gave the saber the name "Rustig Moeder" when translated from Dutch means tranquil mother.

For me its a bit of the story behind the saber, what went into etc. For example my first saber was nambed Unreasonable Doubt, as I was freaking about whether or not I could actually pull it off. My second saber will be named "Moreth" simply because the character its based on was named Moreth and it seems fitting. The one after that will be Exile as it is a Sith inspired hilt despite it's blue blade (ik ik Exar Kun has a blue saber.)
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Blog Entries

I don't go for names really. Mine are all numbered. If I do an iteration on a certain design it will carry a letter after the number.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

This is an excellent thread DarthSkummelavsky!

As I have been both "anxious" and "hopeful" for my saber to be returned back to me (off for professional repair) I am finally going to be able to name it properly when I get it back "Hoffnungsvolle Angst" which kinda works English to German but doesn't really work translated back from German to English.... I think it comes back as "fearful" which is the dark side emotion I have been trying to avoid so that is just as appropriate!
    I could be Arca Jeth if only I had his lightsaber, could pull off wearing all orange and wasn't so darned angry

I really don't name my sabers. But I do have some tools in the tool box that have picked up a few names I can't repeat here
    I tend to look at the lightsaber as a tool, much like the above mentioned in the tool box. I do like how people name their lightsabers. Much like some you would find in Japan, or Middle Earth. I would say that being the case a real saber "smith" just as with a sword, would name the hilt to give it an identity.
    I however, look for the identity of the Jedi or Sith that would have wielded the lightsaber. I think its a bit more fun building a hilt and then asking "what sort of force user would have carried this?" Makes for good back story to add to the saber.

I usually tend to be more descriptive than poetic so might use 'names' that are really more model-designations by function/use for 'generic sabers' i.e. Soresu saber or Niman saber but sometimes will get more creative i.e. a soresu saber or guard shoto because of its defensive use might be named 'Defender' or 'Interceptor' or 'Deflector' whereas a pair of orange and silver Jar-Kai sabers might be named "Fire and "Ice" for their blade colours or might sometimes name a saber for a 'special' crystal; I have a heart-shaped-cut green topaz so I named that "Consular's Heart" and the saber for it shares the name.