Thread: Hilt size confusion

Default Hilt size confusion

Hey all so I just read the post about how long a saber generally are but my question is how thick should a saber be. I plan on making a custom saber one day out of wood and metal and a mock up from PVC i had planned on one inch thick piping to be enough would this be correct or do i need to go to a bigger size?

If you fit your components, do what you like, but typically 1.25"-1.5". You will most like want at least 1" inside.

Blog Entries

I think we in this community tend to build sabers vey thick, but that's to accommodate the battery/sound card, etc. The image of Obi-Wan's saber here is much thinner.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/obi-wan-kenobi

You'll have to scroll down some to see what I mean. In the hands of the characters, it looks like about an in or so in diameter.

I'm working on a temple guard saber pike, and it will have the greatest girth of any saber I've made to date. At least, the part close to the emitter will be thick. The center may be thinner.

Also, I think sabers for nonhuman species vary. Imagine the size of a saber for a Wookie. So, build what you like. It's all about being creative and doing your own thing.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

It also helps that the real life objects that formed the original sabers (Graflex, MPP, etc) had 1.5 inch ODs

Ok thank you all , that was my confusion i planned on using 1" outside Diameter Piping. I also had a oh **** moment while Assembing the parts i wanted in auto cad. is there a way to place a Crystal chamber in above the switch but below the LED for the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiuskain View Post
    is there a way to place a Crystal chamber in above the switch but below the LED for the blade?
    Short answer: yes.

The actual execution of that is pretty much on you.

Awesome thank you for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiuskain View Post
    is there a way to place a Crystal chamber in above the switch but below the LED for the blade?
    Like JB said, it's all a matter of how you assemble the Crystal Chamber & there are as many ways to do that as there are custom sabers...I would recommend using the chassis parts found in the store, they're relatively cheap & you can pretty much work them into any configuration you can think of. I went that route with my Starkiller build & my Chamber is lined up with my activation box. Feel free to take a look at my WIP thread to see how I did it.

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts